Chapter 18

I stood in front of the tombstone with my hands shaking how could I be standing here. I could barely breath as I looked at all the people crying around me. I knew everyone and loved and cared for...

"Rogers..." I looked up as Arthur walked up "Thanks for coming I know Jake and you were good buds."

"Hey we... we would not have missed this for the world." I said thinking about how much I owed Jake and that we never really got to be good friends out of base but he had done for me what no other had or would ever do.

"I owe him my life..." Sam looked up at him with a sad smile and she walked over to Crystal and Jakes kids. She walked up and pulled Crystal into a tight hug.

"How are you two doing?" Arthur looked over at Sammie worried.

"I don't know... she tries for the kids but I think she gave up on us. It's been two months and she does not even want to talk about it. All she does is take care of the kids and make sure the house is clean and food is made."

"She almost died... if she did not want to be with you she would have left you... I would like to point that out... death it has a way of waking you up and making you realize that you can't sit around." Arthur looked at me with a sad smile.

"Your right... I just have to not give up." I looked at him and then down "I am so sorry about Jake, thanks to him Sammie is still here and she is alive and kicking because he missed out on a weekend with Crystal and the kids."

"Well just make sure you make the most of his sacrifice and fight for her until your last breath."