Chapter 8

I was standing in the formation line, everyone was standing straight and not moving even the breathing was synchronized. After a month and a half of hell, of being abused and of running thru hell it was finally over and it was graduation. Everyone looked around with their eyes for their family and I could not help be disappointed that I didn't have anyone to look for. The kids I grew up in foster care with were busy with work and had said they wouldn't be able to make it not even my best friend Ashton.

I noticed that as the Roberts made eye contact with me he looked sad but neither one of us made it obvious. We had not talked since that last kiss we had after the gassing and he had kept his distance not even when he was drunk would he approach and I made sure to keep my distance as well. As we finished off smoke and tanks went off the tanks throwing off smoked bombs that had colors into the air. I smiled feeling excited that I had made it so far in life I was 23 a surgeon and an officer first class in the army I felt as though nothing in this world could stop me.

They dismissed and camouflage ran towards the crowd and mixed in with all the red, white and blue. I smiled as Winter threw herself on me. "We did it boss!" I laughed at her nickname the squad started calling me that when it became obvious how smart and fast I was especially since I was already an officer and only two people hated it.

"We did it scrub!" I said pulling away from her hug.

"We did! It seemed impossible there for a second but we got threw it and now the good times are rolling in... time to get all the dick." She laughed and I shuddered.

"Oh Winters you hag..." I laughed at how excited she was "Where is your family?"

"Somewhere running around I am about to go and find them." She smiled pointing to them as they ran in our direction. "Family calls see you later!"

I smiled as she ran towards them and I felt someone scream my name.

"Sam!" I heard Ashton and turned in his direction and smiled wide running to him and jumping into his arms and putting my face into his neck.

"Ash! I cannot believe you are here!" I said into his neck with a huge smile.

"Hey I would not miss this for the world... neither would they..." he signaled back and I saw Maria and her husband Nicholas the other kids we grew up with smiling coming towards me Maria with her big belly.

"Guys!" I ran to them carefully hugging them. "I have missed you so much! How dod you make it here? I thought you guys had to work? How are the kids and..."?

"Officer Williams a word please." Roberts was standing behind me so close I could almost feel his chest on my back and I could almost feel his breath on me.

"Of course... I will be back you guys." I squeezed Ashton's arm as he looked worried about me getting called away.