30. Academic Decathlon

"Just go out there and talk to him

"Just go out there and talk to him. It's Peter; it's just Peter." I continued to give myself a pep talk as I stood staring at myself in the school's bathroom mirror. My long brown hair cascaded past my shoulders, curling towards the ends. I had taken my green jacket off, having only a white sweater on with a red plaid scarf. I looked pretty okay if I do say so. I felt good.

"I can do it. I can do it." I told myself once more before stepping out of the bathroom. I was about to wander off, looking for Peter, when the first bell rung, reminding me that I had to get to class in two minutes. I guess I wouldn't have time to look for Peter. But who was I kidding? I had all the time in the world. I could run around the school, find Peter, and get to class on time in a matter of seconds.

I decided, if I run into him, then I'll talk to him if I don't then oh well.

I went straight to my locker, needing to grab a pencil - mistake. Peter and Ned stood right beside my locker. Peter was laughing and smiling at whatever Ned had said. I couldn't help but stare at his adorable smile. Peter turned his head my way - almost sensing my stare. We made eye contact for a quick second before I turned the corner into our classroom.

"Shit. Shit. Shit." I muttered to myself as Peter walked into the classroom. I slouched into my seat, hoping his eyes wouldn't find me. He walked over to the seat next to mine and sat down with a sigh. Just as he was about to speak, I interrupted him. "Do you have a pencil by chance?"

My first words after our kiss last night.

Those were my first words.

What an awkward turtle.

Peter tilted his head like a confused puppy, but he passed me a mechanical pencil anyways.

"Were you, uh, avoiding me in the halls?" Peter questioned, fidgeting with one of his own mechanical pencil, a habit he had when he was nervous. I snapped my rubber band against my wrist silently before looking up into his dark brown eyes. My breath hitched in my throat as our eye contact was now held in the full classroom filled with chattering students.

"Maybe?... Yes." His eyebrow arched up, asking me to explain more. "I was just nervous. Sorry."

"Why do you always do that? Whenever you get nervous, you always run away." Peter wondered. I thought hard at his question, remembering Tony had asked almost the same question a couple of days after he found me.

"Why do you always do that? Right as shit goes down, you just wanna fly away." Tony had asked. His eyes had held so much pain, so much sadness as he asked me that one question. I wondered now, the pain in his eyes, was that for me? Or was it because he knew why I did it because that was the same reason he flew.

I had quickly replied without thinking, "It's easier."

That was how I felt then. Was that how I still felt today? Or was I just reacting how I was out of habit?