Chapter Thirteen

Jeremy, sitting in a bathroom stall, sighs.

    Whhhhyyyyyyyy... why did this have to happen? Why couldn't I have just not taken his glasses? Why do I have to be so stupid? Why did Christine send that text now?

    Jeremy sniffles and looks up at the bathroom ceiling. He crosses his arms.

    I just-.. why does this all have to be going on? If Christine just sent that text a few days earlier, I'd be happy.. everything would be okay..... except for Michael.. I guess no matter what happened, he'd be in pain..

    But, I want answers, not more questions to float around.. should I try talking to Christine..?

    No, no.. she sucks, and I hate her for hurting me... right..? I always assumed she was the bad guy after what she did.. but.. who is the bad guy here, really?

    Jeremy, still sniffling, forms a confused expression. He never thought about it that way.. that there is no bad guy in the situation. Jeremy hasn't figured out why Christine even left him, maybe she has a good reason why.

    Without thinking, Jeremy takes out his phone and writes out her number. And he calls her.

    In Montana, Christine and her friends are at the mall, specifically the food court, where Christine got chilli fries, which reminds her of Jeremy.

    She still has hope that Jeremy will answer her, though she knows he'd never do that.

    "So, has anybody seen any cute guys, or girls," Lavender looks at Viviola with a smile, and she blushes whilst smiling sheepishly, "recently?"

    Christine doesn't engage in the conversation, in fact, she tunes out her friends. She doesn't really want to think about it.

    Whilst in this daze, her phone starts to ring.

    "Christine, aren't you gonna check your phone?" Kadence asks.

    "What? Oh-" She takes her phone, "I'll be right back," with that, Christine leaves her friends.

    "Hello?" She says into the phone.

    "Christine.." Jeremy's relieved voice came through the phone.

    Christine's jaw drops. "I- you- what?"

    "Well.. how've you been?"

    "I- well, I mean, good... I guess," she chuckles, "How've you been? How's Michael?"

    Jeremy flinches, "I-It's a long story.. he got into a car accident today.."

    "Oh my god, and I messaged you today. I'm so sorry; you should be with him right now. Why'd you message me? Is he okay?"

    "Yes, yes, he's okay... look, I- we.."

    "No, if you want, call me later, but you have to be with him right now," Christine says, "I want to talk to you, but that can be sometime in a couple weeks when I go to visit my parents, okay?"

    "Wai-"

    "I'll talk to you later, Jeremy," and with that, she hangs up.

____________________________________

    451 Words