Chapter 12

It was past midnight and Isabella had been unable to sleep. Raven was dead to the world and Wulf was dreaming. His growling had woke her up. After lying in bed for an hour trying to go back to sleep Isabella had finally given up. She had been sitting curled up on the couch with a blanket covering her legs, a cup of hot chocolate, and a good book for the past hour.

A slight noise caused Isabella to glance up from the book she was reading. A relieved smile spread across her face as Nero and Mojito appeared in the darkened living room. Isabella laid her book on the arm of the couch and pulled aside her blanket as she rose to her feet. He left leg was stiff from sitting on it, but it loosened up as she moved across the living room to where Nero stood with his cousin.

"I'm so glad to see the both of you." Isabella whispered as she gave a reluctant Mojito a kiss on the cheek and hugged Nero.

Nero held onto Isabella and buried his face in her neck. Nero let Isabella step back, but he kept a hold of her hand. Mojito watched them with unreadable eyes before he disappeared into the kitchen. Isabella gave Nero a questionable look. He shook his head before he pulled Isabella towards the front door. He snagged her blanket on the way and stopped long enough for Isabella to slip on a worn pair of moccasins.

A refreshing breeze blew gently through Driftwood as Nero led Isabella down towards the ocean. The moon shone high above them while clouds drifting lazily by. Isabella didn't say anything as she followed Nero down to the beach. The hold on her hand slowly eased till he was no longer gripping her hand as if she was a life preserver.

"What happened Nero?"

Nero glanced at her before he let out his breath slowly and started to relax. He let go of her hand so that he could run a hand through his hair. The blanket draped over Nero's arm fluttered gently in the breeze. The ocean roared gently in the background as the surf broke upon the beach.

"It was hard work destroying all of the objects of darkness that I had collected over the years. I didn't realize till we destroyed them that they were beginning to affect me. I haven't felt this light and free since I was a kid running through the forest with my brothers."

Isabella slipped her arm through Nero's and leaned against him so that she could hug him. Isabella was surprised by what happened next. Without warning Nero turned into her and kissed her. Isabella was used to the passionate kisses that Wulf and Raven gave her, but this was like nothing she'd ever experienced. Her knees went weak and if it weren't for Nero, she would have fallen.

Nero pulled back and leaned his forehead against hers. His breath fanned across her face making her shiver. Isabella blinked as she stared up into Nero's eyes. As she looked in his eyes, all she saw was the man behind the mask. Nero hid himself behind a façade and let no one know the real him. Wulf and Raven had been the same way and Isabella had helped them drop the façade that they hid behind.

Isabella's heart turned over at the look in Nero's eyes. Wulf and Raven had held the same look the first time they had passed the invisible line that they had drawn around her. Isabella pulled back so that she could lay a hand on Nero's cheek. She traced the outline of his jaw and lips before she leaned forward and gently kissed him.

Nero broke away and set Isabella away from him. "We shouldn't be doing this."

Isabella smiled up at him as she placed her hands on his forearms. "I am willingly giving myself to you Nero. Let me save you, the same way that I saved your brothers."

"Are you sure?"

A tender smile graced Isabella's lips as she stared up at Nero with all the love she could muster. Her love shone through her eyes. "I am absolutely positive."

Hunger leapt into Nero's eyes as he pulled Isabella to him and kissed her senseless.

***

All Isabella was aware of was the feel of Nero, the course sand against her back and the wind that cooled the sweat covering Isabella's body. Isabella lay sprawled beneath Nero. His head was resting on her breast as he gently snored. It had been a long time since Isabella had experienced such wild sex. Soreness was already beginning to set in, but Isabella didn't mind. It had been worth it.

Stars winked down at Isabella as she lay on her back. A shiver shook her as the wind blew across her. Nero stirred and looked down at Isabella with sleepy eyes. Isabella smiled up at him as she reached up and brushed hair out of his eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm just a little cold Nero."

Nero blinked before he rolled of Isabella with a grown. He reached for the blanket that lay in a pile with their clothes. "Sorry. I didn't mean to jump you like a hormonal teenager."

Laughter bubbled up out of Isabella as she gratefully pulled the edges of the blanket close about her. "I kind of liked it. Wulf and Raven rarely leap at me the way you did. It was rather exciting and I thoroughly enjoyed it."

"Don't you find it weird to be sleeping with the three of us?"

Isabella studied Nero as he sat beside her with his arms resting on his knees. "Not at all. It's not like I'm sleeping with you all at once. Each of you have something different to offer to me. I am like a soothing balm to your soul. I care about the three of you deeply. I wouldn't give you up for anything in the world. If one of you happens to find another woman to fall in love with that's fine with me. I will be truly happy for you. That's all I care about. If sleeping with me makes you happy, then I am happy."

Nero looked at Isabella as if he could hardly believe she was real. "Then I am fortunate to have you come into my life."

Isabella smiled at him before she turned and looked out over the ocean. It was so peaceful out here on the beach at night. The longer she sat their enjoying the beauty, the more her mind began to turn. At long last she couldn't keep quiet and she asked Nero how Mojito was doing with all that had gone on.

"He's doing fine. Mojito is used to this stuff. He finds your cousin and friend interesting. They love each other and that is something that Mojito has never really experienced."

"How does he feel about me?"

Nero looked at her again before he too turned to look out at the sea. "He finds you fascinating. I told him as much about you as I knew when I led him to the caves. Mojito has no romantic interest in you, but he finds your presence soothing and he wishes to stay with us when we eventually leave."

"I would love to have him with us. My forest home is big enough for all of us. I have enough room in my heart for one more."

"I told Mojito that." Nero grinned at Isabella. "I also said that you would find room in your bed if he wanted that. Mojito seemed uncomfortable with that, but he said that he would keep that in mind." Nero frowned out at the ocean. "I don't think Mojito has ever known the joys of being intimate with someone. Our father wasn't one for showing love and I do not believe my uncle was either."

"We'll take things slowly, one step at a time. Right now, I want to make things safe for Marcella and Jace."

Nero stood and began reaching for his clothes. He handed Isabella hers. Once dressed, they headed back up the beach towards Marcella's house. Mojito was sound asleep on the couch when they entered. They tiptoed through the house till they reached the bathroom. A nice hot shower was all that Isabella cared about as Nero turned the water on. Everything else could wait till she was warm and had hot food in her belly.