Chapter 6

Isabella felt like a tourists as she walked down the boardwalk on the private beach where Marcella lived. Local residents glared at her as if they knew that she did not belong. Part of their looks probably had to do with the fact that Wulf and Raven were closely following her. Isabella had tried to convince them that they didn't need to come, but they had kept a close eye on her since her stepfather's abuse had been made public. It had gotten worse after her mother's untimely death, but things were getting better.

A soft breeze blew, making the cool day a little chilly. Isabella was glad that she had decided to braid her hair in a warrior's braid that she had added rune beads too. Sand clung to Isabella's feet as she walked barefoot. Sandals dangled from Isabella's hand and the skirt she wore lashed against her calves.

"Isabella!"

A shout caused Isabella's head to jerk up. A smile broke across her face as she saw Marcella approaching her holding hands with Jace. Isabella waved at Marcella as she picked up her pace. Marcella about knocked Isabella down as she threw her arms around her in a tight hug. Isabella laughed as she hugged Marcella back. Jace wrapped her up in a hug as soon as Marcella let her go.

"It's been awhile cuz." Jace said in her ear as he let her go.

"I know and I'm sorry. I've been so busy with Wulf and Raven."

Jace turned his crystal blue eyes on the two men behind Isabella. He stepped forward and held his hand out. Muscles flexed as the men shook hands. "Thank you for keeping an eye on Isabella. She needs to be kept track of."

Isabella snorted as she elbowed Jace in the ribs. He jumped before he walked over and draped an arm around Marcella's shoulders. Isabella's curiosity was aroused when Jace gave Marcella a look that clearly said that there was something going on between the two.

"Are you two a couple?"

Marcella's cheeks grew pink and she ducked her head as she peered guiltily up at Isabella. Jace laughed as he looked at Isabella. "We have only recently started dating. It took a lot of convincing to get Marcella to look at me as something other than your cousin."

"I'm so sorry Isabella. It's just that Jace makes me feel things that I've never felt before. You know how I struggle with guys."

"I'm fine with the two of you dating," Isabella said as she stepped forward to hug Marcella. "If you remember, I told you that you should try dating Jace and you said that it would be weird dating your best friend's cousin."

Raven cleared his throat. Isabella sighed as she let go of Marcella. "How about we go back to your house and you tell me what exactly is going on?"

Marcella nodded as she entwined her fingers with Jace's and motioned back the way they'd come. "Our house is just up the beach here. It sits on a point and we have a perfect view of the entire beach."

Isabella took the hand Marcella gave her and the three of them headed up towards the point with Raven and Wulf falling into step behind them. Marcella chatted about the house as they made their way up the beach. Isabella made sounds of agreement and asked questions as she studied the beach.

"Come on in and make yourselves at home." Marcella said as soon as Jace opened the door. "Can I get you anything to drink or eat?"

"I'll have some Cupcake wine if you have any." Isabella dropped her sandals by the door as she made her way into the spacious living room done in shades of weathered gray and pale blue. Nautical items decorated the walls and several bowls sat around the room holding sea shells, sea glass, and drift wood.