Chapter 5: Stupid Rain

Aubrey set down her cup of water on the coffee table. She was sitting crossed legged, Indian style, on her orange sofa.
    Sitting by her were Wyatt and Makenzie. Makenzie was sitting in the egg chair beside her, and Wyatt on a chair diagonal from her. They had come over for lunch.
"I guess your apartment is cool." Wyatt suggested, looking around more "But it's also really small."
"Uh, Thank you?" Aubrey didn't know wether to be grateful or offended.
Ringo had sauntered up to him and was staring at him curiously. Aubrey smiled in amusement.
He noticed Ringo staring at him, and gave the cat a questioning eyebrow.
"So what exactly is your deal with cats?" he asked her "Because as far as I know, you and your mom have an affinity for them." 
   Makenzie snorted as she sipped her coffee. Oddly enough, she had on a graphic tee that had the words 'But First, Coffee' printed in black. But the shirt itself was white.
"Heh, " Aubrey smiled sheepishly "um, I dunno. I like them I guess?" She shrugged "I mean, I'd always been around them, so..." She didn't know "what her deal with cats" was. Her family had always had a or multiple cats.
"Is it like, your favorite animal or something?"
"No. Lions are my favorite."
"But lions are cats too." Wyatt smiled at her playfully.
"Yeah whatever." She rolled her eyes "Well what's your favorite animal then?"
    "A hawk." he replied with confidence.
    "Mine's a chinchilla!" Makenzie interjected.
    "A what?"
    "A chinchilla, Wyatt." She crowed.
    "What the heck is a chinchilla?" He asked to himself to make a point.
    "A chinchilla is a rodent that's a little bit bigger than a squirrel. They are native to the Andes mountains in South America." she explained to him "They look like this." She turned her phone screen towards Wyatt. She had searched up a picture of a chinchilla.
    "Ooook then." he raised an eyebrow "odd that you just happen to have a picture of one handy, but Okay."
   Makenzie glared at him.
    "Anyway, do you have any pets?" Aubrey jumped into the conversation again.
    "Um, not exactly. I co-own a dog named Chip." Wyatt replied.
    "Co-own?"
   "The dog belongs to my...roommate, but ya know since we live together, I kinda have to take care of it too."
"Oh." She understood. Trixie  jumped onto the sofa, and curled up next to her. She noticed, and started stroking her back. Trixie purred.
"Wait, the dog's name is Chip?" Makenzie asked with realization.
"Yup."
"Ha. It's like from Beauty and the Beast." she said to herself.
"Heh, not exactly." Wyatt whispered under his breath. There was silence for bit. Makenzie took another bite out of her sub. Aubrey had bought subway sandwiches and Chips Ahoy! Cookies for them to eat.

Wyatt couldn't think of any thing else to say. So he stayed quiet until someone said something, or until he had something to say. In the brief silence, Wyatt noticed Aubrey's tattoo again. She had had it covered up the past couple of times he saw her. It was on her right shoulder. Two light purple flowers diagonally aligned. The top flower had an open middle, and the bottom had a closed middle. He wondered if it stood for something, or if it was a past mistake. Or if it was completely random. He also noticed her freckles on her shoulders. And arms.

    "Uh, does your tattoo stand for anything? Or is it just...random?" Wyatt asked Aubrey. She looked up at him.
    "My tattoo?" she stopped petting Trixie and pointed at it "Yes. It stands for something."
    "What?" He exhaled through his nose, slightly amused at her answer.
    "The open flower," she put her finger on it, and shifted her body so he could see it better "stands for curiosity." She paused and put her finger on the other flower. "And the closed flower stands for confidence."
    "Hmph."
    "Flowers because I didnt want the words written out on my arm, and I wanted something subtle. Um, and they're purple cuase that's my favorite color."
    "That's, really cool." She could hear that he wasn't being sarcastic (For once). He was genuinely intrigued.
    "Thanks, I guess." she looked away and blushed slightly, it was nearly unnoticeable. But Wyatt noticed.
"Oh yeah, what about your sword?" he quickly changed the topic.
"What about it?" She raised her eyebrows at him.
"Like, why do you have it? You know you could get charged for having a weapon like that?" Aubrey shrugged slightly.
"Well I got it at this convention thing I went to one time. I dunno, it looked cool or something. But it's not like I practice sword fighting or anything. Yes, I know how to use it, but that's for my own safety. And plus, the blade is dull. So it can't really hurt anyone. Not severely anyway."
"Ok" he said slowly. "Also, why the loft bed?"
"I like high places." she answered simply, and smirked slightly. He squinted his eyes at her. He was expecting more of an answer.
"I hope you guys know that you're funny." Makenzie chimed in. She smiled and sipped her coffee. Aubrey and Wyatt looked at her questioningly.
"Aaanyway, how do you like working with the police so far?" He turned back to Aubrey.
    "Oh, um. It's... ok I guess." She shrugged "I don't hate it. But I don't love it either. Everyone seems pretty nice. I like working with Christian."
    "And you're finally making use of your degree." Makenzie said.
    Aubrey chuckled "Yeah, I guess I am. But I could do without being around all those people for so long. It's tiring."
    "Oh, then you can't come to the parties then. There'll be people everywhere. And you'd have to talk to them too." Wyatt teased.
    "Hmm, I'll make note of when they are, and stay home." She just might actually do that when they did have parties.
"Ok, but let's ask the real questions-" Makenzie put her mug down on the coffee table. Wyatt leaned forward again and so did Aubrey, but only a little. "What are your guys' favorite super heroes?"
Aubrey rolled her eyes at her bff's silliness.
"Because mine's Black Canary, Black Widow, Wolverine, Batman, and Mystique, not from X-Men, of course."
    "Of course." Aubrey remarked. Makenzie looked at her and smiled. She remembered how Makenzie reacted to her reveal. At first she didn't believe her, so she had to show her friend, it was real.