Chapter 3: The Worst Day Possible

She did not want to go to work that day. Or the rest of the week. But it was her job.
    Aubrey sighed and pulled open the door.
  She had her ear buds in. She just wanted to avoid everyone. She wished so much to just turn invisible and hide in a corner.
    She walked into the building. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Makenzie talking to Wyatt. They turned in her direction when she walked past. She glanced their way, but quickly looked away. She was trying to make a straight shot for the stairs.
    But Makenzie stopped her in her tracks "Hey, you ok?"
    "Never." Aubrey looked up at her best friend. Makenzie hugged her, and she hugged back.
    "You'll be fine. You always are. You, just have to get through this week." She smiled sympathetically at her dejected friend.
    "I seriously doubt it, but I know you're right." She gave Makenzie a sliver of a smile.
    Makenzie let her hands drop from Aubrey's shoulders, and she continued her way to the lab.

    Makenzie walked back over to stand next to Wyatt.
    "What was that about?" Wyatt asked, a twinge of concern in his voice.
    Makenzie opened her mouth to say something, but quickly closed it. Once she had figured out what she was going to say, she said "I think, it's something Aubrey should tell you. She'll tell you when she's ready."

    Aubrey trotted down the stairs to the lab. She stopped at the bottom, exhaled, and closed her eyes. She immediately realized Christian was probably there. She snapped her eyes open and glanced to her left. Christian was staring at her with a confused expression on his face.
    "You, ok mate?" He asked.
    Aubrey broke eye contact and inhaled before responding
    "Yeah."
    Christian raised an eyebrow, and stared at her some more. It was so quiet that you could hear the clock ticking on the wall.
    "I'm not convinced but, OK." He looked back down at a comic book.

Aubrey paused the song she was listening to, and took out an earbud to listen to the intercom.
"Ms Freeman and Mr. Porter, report upstairs immediately." Captain Ferguson's stern voice barked.
Christian sent Aubrey a confused glance, and he got up.
    Aubrey took out her earbuds and put them in her pocket. She quickly took off her Kavu and they went upstairs.
Once upstairs, Makenzie yelled to them, "You're with us."
    "Ok." Christian half yelled back.
    Aubrey just nodded. They strode towards them. Aubrey noticed the look of worry on Wyatt's face out of her peripheral vision, but didn't acknowledge it.
"So what're we doing?" Christian asked.
    "We got assigned a new case, and we need you two to come with us to do the sciencey things." Makenzie explained.
    "Oh, ok then."
    After that was cleared up the four of them left the station.

They were heading back to the police station after checking out the crime scene. Aubrey was staring sullenly out the window watching the buildings go by. She knew the others were casting her worried and concerned glances, but she didn't care and she wasn't gonna explain.
     The radio intercom came on suddenly and some one said over it "Armed and dangerous man holding up traffic on Cole Street. we need back up."
    Wyatt picked up the radio and said "Detectives Webb and Wells, we're nearby we can make it over there now." He turned and changed directions, heading towards Cole Street. Aubrey sighed.
    When they got there, they got out of the cop car. There were two other units there, the one that had originally called, and another backup group. Bella was with the other back up group, and so was Captain Ferguson.
    She and Christian stayed a little bit behind Makenzie and Wyatt, while them and the other officers handled the situation.
The "culprit", who was holding up traffic, had on some kind of trench coat, baggy dirty jeans, a black t-shirt, and a cover over his mouth and nose. He was pointing a gun at them, and the police were mimicking his action.
    Captain Ferguson made her way to the front of the group and barked, "Stand down! If you shoot we shoot."
"I'm sorry Captain, but I can't do that. You see, you have something I want." he replied.
    That voice...it sounds familiar. Aubrey squinted her eyes ever so slightly.
"What do you mean?"
"A certain person, to be exact. That's what, or rather, who I want." He put away his gun. In turn some of the police officers lowered their guns too.
    He looked Aubrey right in the eyes "You, Aubrey Bridgette, have something I want. And I will get it."
Aubrey's eyes grew wide, and she inhaled sharply at the statement. She knew all eyes were on her. Of all days, this just had to happen today. She regretted coming to work today.
She felt a tug on her shirt. She looked down and saw the fabric was moving on its own. She made a puzzled face at it. The tugging intensified and she was pulled forward slightly. A number of people gasped. She tried to step back, but found that she couldn't. She looked up and saw the culprit holding his hand out, like he was controlling something. She looked back down at her shirt, that was still being tugged on, and then back up to the culprit. It clicked. He has powers? Her eyes widened once again, and she tried to stop herself from being tugged towards the man. She skidded her feet on the ground, but to no avail.
    The police officers around her seemed to realize what was happening. Out of her peripheral  vision, she saw an officer move to try to help her, but he stopped. It was like his body was being forced to stay there.
She turned around and tried to run the other way, but that didn't do much either. She grunted in frustration, trying to break free. This cannot be happening.,
    She sent a pleading look towards Makenzie, signifying that she needed help. Makenzie dropped her gun and ran to help her friend, grabbing her outstretched hand and pulling her back.
Aubrey briefly stopped being "reeled in", but not a second later, the tugging started again. Makenzie's hand slipped from Aubrey's. She took that opportunity to gather all the strength she could muster, to try and break away from the invisible force. She broke away from the culprit's tugging, and sprinted away from him, Makenzie close behind her.
The culprit realized what happened and used even more force. Aubrey felt a lurch, and was pulled back instantly. She grunted and let out a small scream in response.
Makenzie grabbed on to Aubrey's arm, and was pulled along too.
    "Guys!" She yelled.
Everyone seemed to snap out of some kind of trance, and instantly sprung into action. Wyatt and Christian quickly ran to them, grabbing on to her arms, trying to pull her back. Aubrey made whining sounds from the amount of effort she was exerting. Some of the other police officers even tried to help.
But Aubrey was tugged harder, out of her friend's grasp, and into the clutches of the culprit. Her friends stared at her in disbelief. Makenzie charged at her. But at the last second, Aubrey and the culprit teleported away.
Makenzie stopped and stared in disbelief, as did everyone else.

Aubrey scowled up at her kidnapper. Her arms and legs were tied to the legs of a chair. She was struggling to get free.
"Who are you?" She demanded.
   She was still struggling to get free, but looking down at the ropes that binded her now.
"You don't recognize me?" the culprit teased.
    She stopped struggling and looked up at her kidnapper again.
"It's me."
    He pulled down the cloth that was covering most of his face. She recognized him immediately. She knew his voice sounded familiar! But nevertheless, he was the last person she expected to see.
"Noah?"

________________________________
- What could possibly be wrong with Aubrey?! And who is Noah?! I'd love to hear your guesses in the comments.
- I think I typed this part more language-y, so I might go back and change somethings in the other parts.
- Anyway, I hoped you liked this part!
- Vote, Comment, and Share please!

-Candace 😊