A Good Day

"Cam! Let's go! Your gonna be late and I have work!" I yell from the kitchen as she comes out with her figure skates in hand and her leggings on.
"Mommy I'm cwommjng wholed on! I jwust want too look perfect"she says her Elsa boots on and her coat and gloves ready in her backpack, that isn't zipped. I zip it up quickly and slip on my boots. I had put cam in figure skating classes every Sunday so I could make some extra money at the gala opposed to my every day job of, as of now, secretary at a pediatric firm.
    The firm had just opened and needed a front desk lady to schedule appointments and yadayada. It was nice but not what I expected when I had left. I grab my house and car keys and help cam out while grabbing my coffee and purse. We walked over to the car and I open up the door for her as she hops into her car seat. Buckling her in I make my way to the other side and hop into the drivers seat.

My coffee goes in the cup holder and my purse in the empty passengers seat.
"You ready baby?"I ask looking to the back. She nods and starts dancing in her seat. She loved the classes and was now obsessed with the nice dresses and pretty shoes. It was nice that she was so invested in something. I start up the car as we make our way out the driveway and onto the road.

"Mwommy I love you" she says her eyes getting watery for no reason. She starts to cry heavily and I sit there shocked. What was up with her lately. She's been so emotionally unstable.
"Oh no Cam, baby what's wrong?"I ask keeping my eyes on the road but still glancing every now and then in the rear view mirror.
"I miss daddy!"she says stomping her feet against the leather seats and whaling. This was the 8th millionth time that this has happened and every time it does I don't know what to say. She couldn't understand at this age. She would just cry more.
"Well Cam, I'm sure daddy misses you too"I say trying to lighten up the situation and stop her sadness. My heart aches. But unlike the other times she doesn't stop crying and instead yells things like, "I want him now!", "your so mean", "I love daddy more than you cause you took me away from him"I rub my temples and try to stay calm.

No way was I gonna blow up because she was having a stupid tantrum. We were barely making but we were almost there. I was not about to throw away everything I worked hard to forget.
"DWADDDYYY!"

"CAMERI! STOP!" I yell stopping the car hard on the breaks as we reach a red light. She stops immediately and sniffs quietly.
"I" I breathe in deeply before continuing, "I know you miss daddy. But he's not here right now because he has big things to do for you" I say as she wipes her eyes.
"I know baby. I miss daddy too" I scowl at her silent crying and drive off until we reach her school getting myself out of the car.

I go to the other side and open the door automatically with the key.
"Alright baby girl no more tears. Let's go" I unbuckle her and help her down grabbing her backpack and ice skates.
"Now listen. I want you to relax and go have fun. Learn some new tricks so when you come home you can show me okay"I say wiping off her tears. She smiles a little and it breaks my heart to see her so sad.
"I love you mommy"she says hugging me. "I love you too" I answer kissing her forehead and helping her into the rink. After saying bye I make my way back to my car and sit down in the parked vehicles driver seat.

I look over to the box that had come this month and take it into my hand and open it up. Inside is the new iPhone x and a check again. Last week it was the ice skates for cam and a check. I screech slamming the steering wheel. How the hell did he know about everything we needed or wanted. I stare at my se and back at the x. I close the phone back in the box and place it in my purse.

Fine the iPhone I would keep. But the check is going in the drawer with the rest. I place it nicely into my purse only for a letter to flop out of the box. I scowl. This was so ridiculous.
I open it up and it reads

Dear Valentina

I know just how much you love new toys. My son is definitely not sending priorities so I've sent this for you. Enjoy the phone. I hope you like the money as well. Buy my granddaughter something glittery.

Love
Grandpa.

It was teasing me. I scowl. This insolent argggggggggg. This was outrageous now his father was sending me gifts! Who do they think they are! I scowl. I just wanted a home a new life and they are all making it worse. I drive myself to the art building and head out of the car right away. When I arrive inside I take my clip badge and get to work. Yeah I wasn't the art maker but I was selling like a professional advertiser.

Just today. For once. Be a good day.