Chapter 20

"Rum, I'll sell my hair to you."

My grip on the door tightened as I watched all 12 pairs of eyes staring back at me blankly. Rum's stormy eyes studied me intently that I could feel my stomach turn queasier with each passing second she watched me. And then her face broke into an unreadable smirk, which only served to make me even more queasy.

"Arianna," her perfect pearly white teeth were in full display.

I smiled nervously as I watched her stand up from the same pedestal she sat in last night. "Hi, Rum," I gripped the doorknob tighter the closer she approached my direction. She paused right in front of me before slinking her arm to mine. I froze as I stood awkwardly at the door before getting pulled into the room.

"Now, now, let's not just stand by the door, shall we? A business deal should be done in a proper setting." She looked so calm and collected leading me to the corner of the room where four leather chairs surrounded an intricate marble table - It was a far cry from the storm of panic swirling inside me.

"Sit," she instructed and I immediately obeyed. I unlinked our hands and sat on one of the chairs.

Rum gracefully sat opposite me and proceeded to cross her legs, her smooth shaven legs glistened under the dim lighting of the room. Instead of the skin-tight red dress she wore last night, she wore a dark emerald dress with a plunging neckline. Averting my gaze from the sight of her well-blessed bosoms, I met the gazes of ten men, a set different from last night's ten, who were staring at us with interest.

I looked back to Rum, who had carved a sultry smile on her face.

"So you want to sell your hair. I'm interested to hear your price."

I felt a little gassy from all the nerves so before I spoke, I took a deep breath before blurting out, "I need a fake passport to go to England."

Rum looked at me curiously, her head tilted to the side.

"Oh!" I suddenly remembered. "And you can't tell Tristan."

Rum's smirk returned before she let out a throaty chuckle which sent shivers running down my spine (in fear). "That's two requests in return for one. That's not how it works," she tutted.

I bit my cheeks, feeling slightly deflated at the half-rejection.

"But," Rum sing-songed playfully and my ears perked up.

"But?" I smiled hopefully.

"I won't say anything unless he asks. That's better than me dangling the cheese in front of him, yes?" She winked.

I weighed down her offer and shrugged in acceptance. Honestly, it was better than I expected as I really needed the passport more than anything else. "Okay." I accepted her offer. "And the passport will be ready soon?" If I could get it within the next few days, I'd be able to catch my parents in London - I'd just need to get my tickets now.

"It'll be ready in one hour."

My eyes widened. "One hour?"

Catching whiff of my surprise tone, she chuckled again. "I'm a woman and therefore very efficient." I smiled a little at her statement. "So when will I get that golden lock of hair for my payment?"

I smiled resolutely at her, relieved that my plan was going without a hitch. So far, at least.

I retrieved the scissors from the back of my pants and held it up to her surprised eyes - in some ways I revelled in the surprise look she was sporting because I was pretty sure not a lot could ruffle her feathers.