Chapter 14

"Arianna."

As if gobsmacked, all I could do was gape at the owner of the hand that was gripping mine like I was going to disappear. For the record, I was not.

I think the only logical way I could explain all of this was that I was dreaming.

Because how else would I be standing face-to face with Penny, my best friend from the English boarding school I had attended and then uprooted after the car accident? 

"Penny," I managed to eke out. "How..." I was confused at the fact that I was even staring at her. She must had moved back to the States after I left, I could only conclude, hence why our meeting was possible.

"Oh, my God. It is you!" Her blue eyes widened as she took me in, probably as surprised (to put it mildly) as I was at this colossal coincidence. "I knew that was you when I saw that crazy long hair."

I supposed the hair had it's advantages.

"Do you want to find a bench to sit? I think my legs are going to give out," Her grip on my hand helped me not to keel over as my knees felt a little jelly. But I figured a more structured bench would be a wiser choice.

"Uh-huh," she okayed, but the shock was still palpable on her face.

We made our way to the bench I had spied earlier but it was barely one second into my butt making contact onto the chair that I was immediately verbally attacked by the blonde girl on my right.

"Where the hell have you been?!" 

I wanted to laugh at the tidal wave of familiarity I experienced with Penny's onslaught of emotional unloading. She didn't change a bit. From the way her eyes would burn a shiny blue when she was emotionally charged, to the way her voice would reach a note higher when she was mad.

"You just ghosted your best friend as if I was not worth keeping in contact? A heads up would have been nice, you know. But no. You just upped and left. Gone. Nothing. As if you didn't exist. I tried to call, e-mail, text; I even wrote letters to your house but I got nothing back. It was like you just completely disappeared from the earth and I was at the point where I really thought I dreamt you up. And your parents were mean! They just waved me off and said I can't see you ever again!" 

I smiled, watching Penny huff a little after her rant. Before she could react or say anything else, I enveloped her in a tight hug.

"I missed you, too, Penny Hayes." I mumbled into the crook of her neck. God, even her perfume was still the same. There was something comforting about the bits and pieces that had remained constant in my life and not moved on or changed while I was out of the picture. Even if it was just the little things.

Recovering from her shock from my sudden embrace, Penny scoffed as she returned my hug. "Don't think I'm letting you off the hook this easy."

I laughed. "I never thought of that one bit," I reassured her. "Just let me hug you out a bit longer. I really missed you."

"Me, too," she said quietly.

But then she abruptly pulled apart and clutched both my shoulders. "Was it the creepy stalker guy you told me about?" She narrowed her eyes. "Did he try to kidnap you again?"

Patience had never been her strongest suit. Neither was subtlety. 

I sighed in affirmation.

"I'm sorry I ghosted you like that. My parents got really freaked out when I was attacked on the way back to school and they kind of just cut me out of the word and placed me in house arrest."