17

When my eyes cracked open again, I found myself not in a lift or on the bank of the river, but in a bed. I had no concept of how long I'd been there. Someone sat on a chair beside me.

"Thoris?"

His head came up, blue eyes streaked with red so dark the color made the braids of his beard look pale. Nevertheless, a smile surfaced.

"He lives!"

I winced at the volume of his voice. "Barely, I think."

My throat was filled with grit.

The door of the room opened, and I winced again at the sudden brightness that left a blot of white at the center of my vision. Around the edges of the blot I saw fire colored hair threaded with feathers, beads, coins and other trinkets I could not easily identify.

"Good to see you awake," She said, coming to stand at the head of the bed. "We have much to discuss."

"Yes," I agreed hoarsely, "we do."

She reached behind me, pouring something, and handed me a cup of water. I took it gratefully, heedless of whether it might be contaminated. My raw throat didn't care, and I'd come close enough to dying so many times already that surely one more wouldn't matter. I sighed with relief as the cool wetness soothed the soreness.

"I can wait if you need more rest."

I was surprised by her offer.

"I'm not dead."

"You almost were." She lifted one eyebrow. "You're not much of a swimmer, Riftkin."

"I didn't go into the water by choice," I reminded her.

She shrugged. "It seemed better than burning."

I handed her back the cup and she refilled it. "I suppose I'll forgive you then for pushing me." I narrowed my eyes as I took the cup. "Twice."

I filled my mouth again, this time savoring the soothing cold water for a few seconds before swallowing it down.

She nodded, as if fully accepting both my accusation and thanks for saving my skin. Then her dancing eyes grew serious.

"What do you remember?"

"Enough." I couldn't help but grimace. I looked down at my body, clad in fresh clothes beneath the soft linens. "Did she do this?"

"Her people, yes."

I nodded, sifting the information as I tried to digest it.

"Have they spoken to you?"

"A bit." I read concern in the lines of her face and her troubled eyes. "We wanted to wait so that we could all be present before talking in depth."

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Thank you."

My voice was softer than I'd expected it to be, but it must have conveyed the fullness of my appreciation for that simple act. I'd waited so long for this. So many years I'd waited to meet this woman... this girl Valyn. It had not gone at all as I'd expected.

I had not met her with weapons ready.

I had not expected her to meet me with kindness.

"The others?"

"They're fine. We've taken turns waiting with you. Aaliyah is a bit worn from her soothing, but Valyn's people were able to supplement you both."

Valyn's people.

Just the term sat wrongly in my mouth. Were these truly her people? Was she some leader of them? If so than it was more than just a group of renegades who had harvested our children, but an entire society. One we had not even known existed.

The other question pressing against my lips I held back. I was unsure whether the reason was because I wanted to ask it of Valyn herself, or because I might not be prepared to bear the answer.

"Before we sit down with them, there's something you need to see."

I looked up, but she didn't meet my eyes. She looked toward the door, her gaze distant and filled with something I couldn't interpret.

"What?"

She shook her head, glancing at Thoris. His eyes were troubled too. He tugged at one of his braids absently.

"You'll known soon enough," she answered finally. "Get some sleep. I'll be back in the morning. The others will be relieved to know that you're all right."

Although I'd only awoken a short time before, the thought of sleep drew me. My body was still drained, my legs and arms still heavy with weariness. The emotional turmoil of meeting Valyn and finding out whatever it was she would have to say only added to my exhaustion.

If it weren't for that, I would never be able to sit still, let alone sleep.

I gave a nod that felt as somber as the tone in the room. A few more hours, and then I would go and see what it was that had my friends so troubled. A few more hours and I would start to put some sense to what was happening here.

A few more hours, and I would find out whether my sister was dead or alive.

I had waited for six long years, but I could not wait much longer.

I would not.

I had been Bana Riftkin, son of Alder and Corrine, brother of Camille, but after losing them I had become Bane. It was more than just a name, it was my oath, my pledge. I would be the bane of those who had stolen what they had no right to take. I would be the bane of the ones who had abducted my sister and torn apart our lives. I would mold myself into the weapon that would destroy them for what they had done, exacting retribution. Bane was more than who I was. Bane was what I was. Finding Valyn had been my purpose.

My destiny had arrived.