18 | Scheme

As Hagami had guessed, she had broken a rib in her scuffle with Tobi. She palpated the place lightly around the middle of her ribcage on the right. It was only one thankfully and didn't seem too bad. But as soon as Pein would caught wind of this injury, she'd been banned from missions until it healed. This meant about a month of waiting around, or shorter depending on if someone knew Medical Ninjutsu back in the base. Hagami pulled herself up from the ground, Tobi had left long ago, and used the wall as her guider out of the room.

This...is lovely. By now Sasuke and Itachi should be talking things out regarding my scroll. Heh, if Sasuke was to be able to decipher that, it'd hold the truth, but I might've given it away during our small fight. A grin came to Hagami's face, a rare one at that. But now he has to wait until he gets the Mangekyō Sharingan to figure out the rest. Hagami actually chuckled to herself.

She took a seat on one of the rocky ledges of the Akatsuki base. Eventually someone would be sent to pick her up because Pein would be against her traveling whilst injured. The Akatsuki may be filled with differing members but there was always the concern for one another because losing one meant losing an arsenal of secrets and techniques; and finding a replacement is ten-times harder.

Hagami rested her elbow on her knee and peered beyond the base. It was closed off but still provided light to filter in. If anything, someone would be here to pick her up in about a day or two.

---

Kisame showed up a day and a half later. He walked into the base drenched in either sweat or rain considering the weather and climate of the Land of Fire. He called out a few times to Hagami before finding her asleep on one of the stone ledges. Kisame walked over to her and nudged her shoulder a few times. This still didn't wake her up so eventually he sat her upright.

"Oi, it's time to leave." Kisame kept his voice hushed slightly so he wouldn't startle her. "Oi, Hagami!" He raised his voice slightly and got a groan in response. Kisame growled at her initial stubbornness but then noticed that she wasn't actually sleeping. Upon looking closer, he could see her eyes shut tight and her breaths were shallow. "S***." He muttered concernedly and felt her forehead. "Oi, you don't have a fever so what's going on?" He asked easing his voice; he held concern in his voice too.

"A broken rib," Hagami murmured, "or two, maybe." She added as she forced her eyes open. "Just...help me up and I'll be good." She said as she held a hand out. Kisame hesitated a moment before bringing her to her feet. Hagami stumbled initially but then gained her balance back. "Thank you."

"Idiot." Kisame muttered wrapping an arm around her shoulder. He guided her to the mouth of of the cave at a slow pace so he didn't cause more pain to her. "This is going to be a long walk isn't it?"

"Not if you know Medical Ninjutsu." Hagami barked a short laugh before groaning in pain again. Kisame shot her a weird look. Not only did she laugh, she had a strange gleam in her eyes too.

"I thought you knew Medical Ninjutsu."

"I knew and could use it when I was younger. But now I can't, probably because I dedicate most of my chakra to actual Ninjutsu and Genjutsu; I don't have the reservoirs of chakra I used to have." Hagami answered as they started down the path. Kisame knew this little bit of information was true. "Ah ****, this is going to be a long walk."

Kisame halted in his steps momentarily to glance at Hagami. She already seemed off but she just cussed. Hagami seldom cussed and if she did, she had a good reason, better than this situation at least. Kisame's hand reached for Samehada.

"Where's Hagami?" Kisame asked as drew Samehada. Hagami's eyes narrowed and she tensed.

"I am Hagami." She responded casually. "What would insinuate I wasn't her?" Kisame glared at her and he pointed Samehada toward her neck. Uncharacteristically, she flinched away.

"Do you want to die here?" Kisame snapped and he saw the hesitation in Hagami's eyes. Gotcha. He thought.

"Yes, this wretched world is a Hell to live in." Hagami muttered and Kisame drew his arm back. But before the girl before Kisame could react though, Kisame slashed through her abdomen in a clean stroke.

"Hagami wouldn't hesitate in such a situation, nor would she accept death so soon." Kisame barked as the top of her body was separated from the bottom. Laying on the ground now, the impersonation of Hagami slowly shifted into another person, and Kisame came to realize it was probably a jutsu by Pein.

But snapping back into reality, Kisame's focus shifted to finding Hagami. He scouted out of her chakra more thoroughly this time and he entered back into the cave. To his surprise, he only found residual chakra from her, and her over presence has vanished. For a moment, he bared his teeth at the thought of Hagami's disappearance but then composed himself. He took one last glance around the cave before heading off toward the main Akatsuki base.

Where could she be? Kisame asked himself.

---

Long? No. But a cliff hanger? Absolutely. Hahahaha...I love writing stuff like this. It's so...enticing...and so freaking fun to plan stuff like this and put to work! Isn't it great?

FYI: This story is going to end soon! approximately ten chapters or so and then I'm moving on the the little After Story shtick for insight and prep for the third book; also, as you've noticed, this book in the three I'm writing is going to be considerably shorter so no "and's, "if's", or "but's" about it because I really don't care; it's short for a reason. Also, I'd like you to know that the third book will probably be pretty loooong because it takes place mostly in Naruto Shippuden with fragments in Naruto.

Anyway, enjoy!

-silent