Chapter 19 - Dana Marries James

Start from the beginning

Alex, who still hadn’t gotten used to Verona plainly being Verona, looked at her with horror. He clearly believed that Verona was probably capable of anything. “She’s kidding.” Kelsey felt the need to say. Alex didn’t like Verona to start with, anyways. In reality, Kelsey was ecstatic. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d attended a wedding. She wasn’t much of a socializing type of person, but she was also excited to be meeting Alex’s family, again. They were wonderful people.

In a way, Kelsey envied Alex. How he could have such an awesome family and be able to stay away from them for so long? Kelsey had no idea. Her family was broken. It wasn’t like it used to be. Kelsey had always been convinced that her parents’ divorce had been for the best, but what if Kara was right?

What if they were meant to stay together? What would have happened?

Maybe Kelsey and Kara would have been closer as sisters, instead of separated all year long except for vacations, and even then, Kara had always been more involved in her own life. She didn’t need Kelsey in her life, not the way Kelsey had needed her sister in her life.

And their parents? They were always fighting. But didn’t all couples? She pictures Maria and Jonathan. They were so different, but Kelsey hadn’t seen them fight the way she’d seen her own parents fight. Maybe they were just toning it down for the occasion?

It was Dana’s special day, probably the most important day in her life. No parents would want to cause any hindrance in it due to their bickering. Would her parents do the same for her? For Kara? Somehow, Kelsey just couldn’t see that happening.

Her parents wouldn’t stop fighting for anyone, not even her. That was how messed up everything was.

“Are you ready?” Alex asked, with a hint of a smile on his face. Kelsey smiled back and nodded.

“Yeah.” She told him. Her eyes were slightly drowsy from staying up so late and she briefly wondered how Dana, the bride, might be faring. The thought brought a smile to her face. Dana had been completely right when she said that she was sure that her fiancée would also come to the club to keep an eye on her. He was there. Not only that, but James had brought Alex, Matt, and Javier with him.

Kelsey hadn’t even noticed that they were there at first. She hadn’t seen them, and she had looked around, even though Dana had told her not to. She assured her that the boys were there, probably watching them, and that Kelsey didn’t need to look for them.

The whole event had been all too new to Kelsey. At first, she’d just stayed with Gabriella at the bar. Gabriella was nice, but Kelsey occasionally got the feeling that Alex’s real, complete sister didn’t like Kelsey that much. She wasn’t as accepting as Isabella and Dana had been, but she wasn’t a bad person, either. Kelsey suspected that she and Gabriella could get along with one another.

Alex led Kelsey to his car. She smiled at Verona, as she got into the car. Even Verona had a big grin on her face as he gave her cousin thumbs up.

“I think you’ve won over the hearts of my sisters.” Alex told her as he opened the passenger side door to his car open for her life a gentleman. Kelsey was screaming from excitement inside.

“I like your sisters.” She told him. “They’re great people.”

“True.” Alex agreed.

“Yours are definitely better than mine is.” She added, a hint of remorse in her voice even though she had no idea what she was remorseful about. She wasn’t going to blame herself for how Kara turned out. Kelsey had trusted her. She didn’t give her just a benefit of doubt, she had faith in Kara and Kara had crushed it. Kara should be the one feeling bad about herself.