Thirty-Two

Demi woke up by hearing her name being spoken softly and a gentle shake on her arm. She groaned sightly but opened her eyes. She was almost instantly awake when she saw a doctor and a midwife stood at the end of her bed and she allowed Joe and Denise to help her sit up a little bit more.

"How are you feeling Demi?"

"A little numb still and achy but other than that I'm fine. How are the girls?" Demi answered adding in her own question.

"There isn't anything that indicates anything wrong with either of them. We want to keep them on oxygen for a couple of days then we can try taking it away and see if they are strong enough to breathe for themselves. They'll need to stay here until they are big and strong enough to go back home." He explained.

"But nothing medically wrong with them?" Denise inquired.

"Not that we can see, they are premature so we will need to keep an eye on their development as they grow. Nothing to worry about for now." He assured them all.

"When can we see them? We haven't even discussed names yet." Joe stated.

"You can see them in the next half an hour or so." He explained.

"And there's no rush for names." The midwife added. Paul and Denise both thanked them as they left the room after promising to come back when they could see the babies.

"That's a relief." Demi admitted settling down a bit.

"I think you should name one Nicola." Nick stated and they all laughed slightly.

"Have you really not discussed names yet? Your dad and I discussed baby names before we even got married." Denise laughed slightly and Joe shrugged his shoulders.

"I think we both probably have names in mind, we never got chance to sit down and talk about them." Joe answered.

"I'm just so relieved that they're okay." Demi admitted.

"Me too." Joe agreed.

"Where are mom and dad?" Demi questioned. "I'd like to see them before I go see the babies."

"We don't know, they went off somewhere and haven't come back around." Paul explained and Denise slapped his arm.

"The girl doesn't need anymore added stress." Denise lectured.

"Well, she asked!" Paul replied and Demi looked up at Joe a concerned expression on her face.

"They're up to something, this is what I was afraid of." Demi mumbled.

______________

The next time the door opened a midwife came through pushing a wheelchair with her. Demi's face lit up knowing she was going to see her babies and Joe was just as excited about the thought. Demi was helped off the bed and into the chair. She was still a little numb from the operation and achy elsewhere but she didn't mind being moved because she'd be seeing her daughters.

"Take pictures if you can, I want to see those beautiful girls." Denise told her son as she gave him a hug. She never guessed what was going on, that it was actually her middle son that was becoming a dad and not Nick but she was happy for him either way. Disappointed that her sons didn't come talk to her but that couldn't be helped. Either way, two girls had been born into the family and she was a grandma again.

"I'll try." Joe promised kissing her cheek gently and he gave a quick hug to his dad and Nick too before they were heading out of the room to where their babies were being kept.

"Are they still okay?" Demi inquired.

"Of course, we're taking good care of them. I promise." She assured them both.

"It's just been a scary time." Demi admitted.

"I can understand that with your age too but they are fighting and that's all that matters."

"We won't be able to hold them, will we?" Joe inquired and she shook her head gently.

"No, not until the oxygen is taken away but you can reach into the incubator and hold their hands, touch them that way. That will be good for them too. It will be a familiar touch." She explained.

"Anything that will help and give them a full recovery. I don't care how long we have to come here and visit, as long as they come home healthy." Demi breathed.

"We'll talk about breast feeding and stuff whilst you're here." She praised and Demi nodded her head. It wasn't long later that they were pushed through a set of doors and were made to sanitize their hands Joe having to help Demi a bit but once they were done they were led into a room. There was about six incubators in there, plenty of room to move around and make sure the room wasn't too crowded for the babies inside.

"I know where they are already." Demi stated looking up at Joe.

"Me too." He agreed but they were led over to a pair of incubators side by side, there being enough room between to walk by. Demi could only just see them from her chair but it was enough for them both to just be able to see their tiny girls.