Twenty Two

"Okay." Joe stated even though he was nervous for what was going on. He was led away from Demi and Nick and into the kitchen alone with the male officer whilst Demi stayed behind with the female one. He could guess what this was about, he just wondered how they had figured it out so soon.

"There's nothing to worry about, I just need to ask you some questions and note down your answers, okay?" He questioned and Joe nodded his head. "Demi is your brothers girlfriend right?"

"Correct." Joe answered.

"Have you ever done anything with her in more than a friendly way?" He inquired and Joe shook his head.

"No, she's my brothers girlfriend, I would never do anything like that to my brother." Joe replied, he was unsure or not whether to tell the truth but he knew he wanted to be around his children so being arrested wasn't an option. Matt, the officer, paused for a moment as he jotted down Joe's answer.

"And you don't have anything with her other than a friendship?" He inquired.

"No," Joe repeated sighing slightly. "Can I know what this is about?"

"We got a call from the hospital after Demi's scan noticing you were a bit older than she was. Why were you in the scan and not the father of the babies?"

"Oh, Nick got a bit scared when we got there and I offered to go in with Demi instead, Demi needed someone there so I did and Nick got to know all about the babies when the appointment was over." Joe answered secretly relieved that they had come up with a story in case anything happened. They wondered whether the hospital would notice the age difference or not, there was only three years but they clearly wanted to check in case.

"Okay, I think that's all I need from you. We'll follow up with you about what's happening."

"So I'm not being arrested or anything?"

"Not for now, it all depends what Demi says." Joe took in a deep breath nodding his head. But he had no doubts that nothing would happen. They had been careful in case something like this happened but he still felt nervous.

________

Demi was in the hallway with the female officer answering any questions she had. She was desperate to see Joe scared that something might be happening to him to make him leave her and their two babies. But he too was denying any accusations that the female officer through her way.

"Joe is just a very good friend, he came to the appointment because Nick freaked out a bit. Better the babies having their uncle there than nobody and I don't blame Nick for freaking out. I wouldn't be there if I could." Demi replied.

"As long as you feel safe here living with Denise and Paul then we don't have any problems. Are you sure?" She questioned and Demi nodded her head gently.

"I've never been so happy anywhere than here. Denise and Paul have been amazing, I get to see Nick everyday and Joe is becoming more and more like an older brother everyday. I'm very happy here." Demi assured her even though it felt weird for her to say. Joe would never be like her brother, just the opposite.

"Then that's fine but if you have any problems then you know where we are." Demi nodded her head gently.

"Thank you." Demi breathed and they both entered the living room again Demi glancing at Joe but she was still concerned that something might happen.

"I think that's everything here, nothing else needs to be done. Thank you for your time." Eleanor spoke.

"Thank you, I'll show you out." Denise stated leading the way into the hallway and Demi rushed over to Joe giving him a hug before Denise came back.

"That was scary." Demi mumbled.

"Yeah but everything is okay." Joe assured her kissing the top of her head gently. It only made them more scared to tell anyone the truth, they knew they had to be more careful.

"I'm just glad we had a story ready." Nick admitted.

"Thank you Nick, for everything." Demi stated looking over at him but she made no attempts to pull away from Joe.

"It's no problem." Nick assured them both. But Joe and Demi quickly pulled away from one another when Denise entered the room again. Nick could see how much it hurt them both.