Dreams (2)

FIVE YEARS LATER

Patrick woke up in a sweat. He immediately reached down to the left of his bed to look for Toothless. His hand was met with a hot gentle lick, letting him know that he was still there, keeping him safe. Patrick sighed and dragged the bangs of his soft blonde hair over his eyes. These days he liked to pretend that was the only thing stopping him from seeing and not the fact that he was actually blind. Toothless led him through his daily routine, with the last thing as styling his hair. Even though he was blind his father had done his hair for picture day once and let him feel how to do it so he can do it himself. His plan was to never have to style his hair, but after getting so many compliments he decided otherwise. He ran his gel covered fingers through his bangs making it stand up just enough to have a bit of volume. The rest was left as it was since it was short and easy to maintain.

Patrick and Toothless made their way downstairs.

"Bye mom, bye dad, bye Brandon!" Patrick pinched his little brother gently before opening the door and waiting for Julian and Mrs. Casitory on the porch like they have done for 5+ years. He heard their van pull up and started walking to the car. Julian swung the door open for him.

"Morning! Sleep well last night?" Julian asked helping Patrick load up his stuff in the trunk.

"Not necessarily. I had another one of those weird dreams last night, it seems like they're happening a lot more often these days." Patrick buckled his seat belt as Lola, Julian's younger sister put her hand on his shoulder.

"Hi Lola." He was not amused. Ever since she turned 15 last month she had begged her mother to ride with the boys every morning to school instead of with her friends. Everyone knew she had a crush on Patrick, but no one said anything. Patrick and Julian both thought it was weird. Julian rolled his eyes and shoved his sister to the back, taking a seat next to Patrick and Toothless.

"You know, the 5 year anniversary of the Submarine dive is coming up and they STILL haven't found anything. I genuinely thought something cool would come of it." Julian sighed pulling his hood up over his brown curly hair.

"They could have always found something, but not told the public. You know like a conspiracy or something." said Patrick.

"You know I was readin..." Lola was cut off by Julian before she could finish. "Nine times out of ten they just don't find something." They pulled up to the school and jumped out of the van, meeting up with Tristan who had also just road up on his skateboard.

"You ready boys? First day of the last school year for us. Let's try to not fuck this one up like the last three." Tristan said picking up his skateboard. Tristan had always had a colorful vocabulary, but it had cooled down a bit since junior year of high school. All of the boys had mostly stayed the same except Tristan's hair went from a platinum blonde to a dirty blonde within the last few years. Otherwise, Patrick was still blind, Julian was still bored with his life, and Tristan had still failed to get with any of the girls he hit on.

The final bell had rung and the boys headed to their first class which they had together. In fact, they had all of their classes together, but not by chance. The passing of notes throughout the years had continued, but since Patrick couldn't participate, they had taken it upon themselves to learn morse code so that they could talk during class without interrupting anyone.

"Patrick was telling me he had another one of his weird dreams last night." Julian spelled out on both Patrick's and Tristan's hands.

"You know, he never actually explained to us what happened in them, or what they were about." Tristan responded slowly as he wasn't too quick on learning new things and was still trying to grasp morse code.