Sad First Date

I just got out of the shower and am now determining what to wear tonight. I want to look nice for Dean, but I don't want to dress up. He did tell me to wear whatever. After looking for a decent shirt, I choose a black t-shirt and decide to just wear my blue zip up hoodie.  I throw on my black skinny jeans and my black converse and brush my hair. I look at the clock and it's only 4 so I have an hour. I lay down and play a game on my phone.

Outside when your ready.

I get up and run down the stairs.
"Have fun sweety, and use protection." Mom says cheerly as I give her a serious look, but shocked as well.

"Mom" I say embarrassed. "We are not doing any of that." I say as she just nods and tells me whatever.  There was a knock at the door and I answered just to see Dean with some roses.

"Hey." He smiled as my mom came out of nowhere and scared the shit out of me. "DEAN!" I jump and try to catch my breath.

"Ms. Novak." He smiles handing her the roses. "These are for you." My mom blushed and she thanked him and pushed us out the door.

We walk up to his Impala and he opens the passenger door for me. He gets in and starts music as he drives.

"So, where are we going?" I ask as he just smiles.

"That's for me to know, and for you to see when we get there." He smiled and before I could say anything he turned the music up and started singing. I laughed and sang to a few songs I knew. Until he turned the music down at a red light.

"Put this on." He handed me a blindfold. I look at him weirdly and he motions for me to hurry.

"You're not going to kill me are you?" I ask as he shakes his head.  I reluctantly put it on as he started driving and turned the music up again. I felt him grab my hand and kiss it, which made me blush.

I felt the car stop and he turned the engine off. He got out and opened my door and helped me out. He grabbed my hand and my waist from behind as he told me to walk.

"Watch your step. It's a step down." Following what he says, I step down and he tells me it's okay to talk a step. The ground softened and I hear a noise that I couldn't remember.

"Ok. Stop." I did and when I did, he let go of me. I got scared that he left me, but why would he? He comes up to me, wraps one arm around my waist, and kissed me.  Then he let go and took my blindfold off, in which my eyes were still closed. When I opened them, I gasped at what I saw.

He took me to the beach. On the sand far enough from the water, was a large blanket and a basket. I stand there shocked and smiling as I look at Dean. Who just smiled.

"Do you like it?" He asked as I hugged and kissed him. He was surprised by my action but didn't push me away. I "I love it" I smile as I pull away from him. He grabs my hand and he tells me to sit. He sat by me and started going through the basket.

"So. I didn't know what to bring, so I got Sam to help, who asked Gabe, and I made some ham sandwiches, I have some noodles mixed with bitter and salt 'n pepper," we laugh at how he pronounced pepper like peppa. "And we have some strawberries, kiwi, watermelon, and for desert, we have this." He smiled as he pulled out a chocolate cake. It wasn't a small slice from the store, no, this was homemade and two layers.  I smile at how happy and excited he was.

We start eating as we joke and laugh. He brought soda and waters. I told him a joke and he laughed so hard that root beer came out of his nose, which only made us laugh harder.  After a while we calmed down.

"Come on." He said getting up and helping me up. He held my hand as we went up the the water. He took his shoes off followed by his pants and shirt. I watch him undress and blush as I see the forming muscles on his arms and stomach.

"Like what you see?" He winks at me as I blush and look at the water. He lets go of my hand and runs into the water. He goes until it's up to his waist. "You coming in? It's not cold." He smiles and walks up to me as I get scared.

"I um, I can't swim." I say embarrassed so I look at my feet. He grabs my chin and makes me look at him.

"Don't worry.  We won't go out to far, and I can't teach you how." He says as I start crying. He grabs my face and looks worried. "What's wrong?"

"I know how to swim, I just...I just can't bring myself to." I look at him and he gives me a look to continue. "When I was 10, my dad took me to the lake that was near where we lived.  Gabe and my mom were doing something and my dad wanted to take me to the lake. By that time I knew how to swim. There was a rope swing, and we thought it would be fun, but my dad saw some rocks and he didn't want to to get hurt. The rocks were away from where we would be letting go at. He got on the rope and when he let go, he went under the water, but he never came up. I went under and got him. I guess it was shallow with rocks and he hit his head. I hot him out of the water and called 911 and by the time they got there it was too late."

By this time Dean was holding me and swaying us from side to side. Dean pulls me back and wipes all the tears away. He looks at me. "Hey. It's okay. Let's go habe some cake Ok? Maybe we can find a way to make it come out of my nose." He laughed making me laugh. He grabbed his clothes and we sat and had about half of the cake.

When we were done and the sun was gone, Dean packed everything up and he wrapped his left arm around my waist as we walked back to the car.

"Thanks for the date. I'm sorry I made it... what's the word? Depressing?" He smiles at me and pulls me close. He had just put everything in the trunk.

"Hey" he grabbed my chin. "It's okay. I kind of wish I had known so I would've done something else or had this somewhere else." I shake my head. 

"No. I loved it, and I loved where it was. I've always loved the ocean. So I'm happy that you did this." I said as he looked sad.

"But-" I cut him off with a kiss.

"It was perfect okay? The ocean makes me happy and gives me memories so don't apologize." I say sternly and he was taken back by my tone. He noded and opened the car door for me then he started the car.

We started driving and and we talk until we turn onto my street. It's only seven, which came up fast. He got out and walked me to the front door.

"Thank you for tonight, It had to have been the best date I've ever been on." I smiled holding his hands. "Taking out the part about my dad." I laughed but he just smiled.  He thinks he screwed up. But he didn't.  I feel like I did, but he's been quiet since.  He looked down at our hands.

"I just-" I cut him off. "I told you, I loved it, so thank you." He smiled but he still looked like he screwed up. I kissed him as we said goodnight.

I hate that I brought it up, but it felt good. He was the first person I told that to. It's been 8 almost 9 years, and I kept it to myself. I feel bad because that made Dean feel guilty, but the ocean gives me good memories.  When I take him out for our next date, I'll do something that will make him smile.