Long Life Love

I smile at his toothy seven year old smile. "So now you just read the note and give it back. Easy!" I giggle.

I handed him the note, that had some first grader scribbles which could be transferred to "Do you like me? Will you be my friend? Check yes or no."

He smiles and checks one box, which made my heart soar.
----
"This dance is a bust." His voice slightly cracks, due to the 6th grade hormones I'm guessing.

"Come on, its bad if you don't dance." I laugh shaking my head.

"But I-fine." He takes me by the hand, leading me into a slow dance. The light makes his green eyes glow, reflecting the yellow flecks within.

"Your beautiful." He sighs, tucking a strand brown hair behind my ear.

"Nah." I laugh, spinning in a slow circle.
----
My freshman jitters make me jumpy. "Homecoming isn't something I thought I'd go to." He laughs, deeper than his middle school squeak.

"Well you're here now."

"With the bell of the ball." He smiles.

I laugh as his hands find mine and he pulls me close. We sway to the music, his shaggy brown hair hitting my forehead.

"Why don't you cut it?" I ask, brushing his hair back with a finger.

"Because I know you secretly like the bad boy hair cut."

I roll my eyes and smile at him. "Nuh, it's not quite you."

"Hehe, then what is like me?"

"Well, I wouldn't know unless I saw it. All I know is that I saw something in you since first grade." I laugh.
----
"AND OUR HOMECOMING KING AND QUEEN WILL BE SAVANNAH AND DRAKE!" The announcer says.

My senior boy and I look at each other with a smile. He offers me his arm and I take it as we go up the stage. A tiara is placed on my head and a crown on his.

"NOW FOR THE ANNUAL DANCE."

He takes me hand, leading me off the stage and onto the floor. He softly guides me in the dance, knowing the klutz I calls become if let lead. "I always told you that you are the queen of the world and now you are." He smiles.

"Just like you'll always be the king, and we can rule together." I giggle.

"Your dorky." He scoffs, trying to keep a smirk off his face.

"But you love me."

"That I do." He says, pecking me on the lips.
-----
"I know we are only 20 years old, but I have loved you since first grade, that's 13 years I have loved you. 13 years to learn you and feel what you've felt. Would you give me the honor of becoming my wife?" He gets onto one knee and opens a box to reveal a diamond.

"I do!" I squeal in front of the crowd that has gathered in front of the Eiffel Tower. They all clap as he stands up and pulls me in for a passionate kiss.
----
He pulls back my veil, "I loved you since I laid my eyes on you. I will protect you forever and ever and ever. I will never ever let you go. I swear that I will love you til the day I die."

A tear comes to my eye "Drake, I can't even explain how much I have loved you. This all started from a note that I gave you all the way back in first grade. And I've loved every moment of it."

"Do you take her as your wife?"

He smiles at me, "I do."

"Do you take him as your husband?"

"I do."

"You may kiss the bride!"

He pulls me up into a kiss and cheers erupt.
----
I hold him close, "I have news Drake...I'm pregnant."

His smile grows as wide as I've ever seen! He crouches down, pressing his head against my stomach, "There's a baby growing in there! Our baby! Our sweet baby!"

"Yeah." I smile.

"Whose gonna be a manly boy or a pretty pretty girl? That's gonna be you isn't it? Yes it is!" He smiles up at me, "We have to be good parents."

"We are gonna be great parents."
----
"Put that down Bret! No don't put it in your mouth. Oh boy." I press my fingers to my temples, trying to watch the five year old boy run circles around the living room. Why did his father have to give him that sugary drink?

"Come on, be good for your mother Bret. It's not so hard. I've been good long enough." Drake picks up the racing child, tossing him in the air.

"Hahahahaha! Wait! Dad but I want cookie. And Momma won't let me have a cookie."

"That's okay. You don't need a cookie. Especially not this time of night." He sets Bret down who continues to race in circles.

I walk over to my husband, "This is why you can't give him anything with sugar."

"He'll be fine...eventually."

I start to walk up the stairs, "Then you can put him to bed. "
----
I cry as Bret's name is called and he walks across the stage, grabbing his diploma. My husband arm is around me, supporting me.

"It's okay."

"It went by so fast. He's so grown up." I whisper.

"Hey. Hey it's okay, I'll always be here still. He's gonna have a family. We had a family. Now we just watch for the bird as he leaves the nest."

"It'd been easier to just shove him out on his-"

"Don't be mean about!" Drake shout whispers at me. I laugh as quiet as possible, still happy with him on my side.
----
"Yes Grandma! We need to have our tea!" My seven year old granddaughter lectures me.

"I know sweetheart. I know. Can I have some more sugar?"

"One or two lumps?"

"Two please." I say, holding out a small teacup. "You know your grandmother likes her sugar."

"Yes grandma!" She says, pulling out two invisible spoonfuls of sugar and putting them into my cup.

"Thank you sweetie."
----
"I don't know what I'll do without you Drake." I whisper, holding out a shaking hand to his.

"I won't be gone my queen. I'll watch you until you are with me again. I'll always be right in your heart." He coughs, almost tangling himself in the hospital tubes.

"But-"

"No. you'll be okay sweetheart. I promise. I love you."

"I love you too." His clench on my hand loosens and he's gone. The love of my life, gone.
----
"Is that a true story great grandma Savannah?" My great grandchild Lena asks me.

"Of course it is. Now hand grandma her cane so I can grab my pills."

"But don't you want to be with great grandpa Drake? And the thing keeping you away is the pills and medicine?"

I smile at the young girl, well not young, she's 13. "That's true Lena. But I can't-"

"Grandma you can. Everyone says it's okay. And grandpa misses you."

I gasp in shock. "How do you know...how-"

"He told me. He said it is okay to let go now and that everyone will be alright. He said if you need help being comfortable that I should help you. Do you-"

I collapse back in the couch with a cry, "No. I'm fine Lena. I just-"

She puts a hand on my shoulder, "It's okay grandma. He said to start to go it's like sleeping, just shut your eyes and you'll be okay. I love you grandma." She moves me so I can lay back.

And I let go.