Lonely

I tried to shut my weary eyes but couldn't. I glanced at the bright clock on my phone. 12:30.

I'll give it til 1 I decided.

I needed to know he was home and okay. But the energy is just slowly draining me out...slowly but surely.

I yawn and stretch my arms, phone in one hand. 12:45.

I shut my eyes for but a minute and it's 1.

Guess I can sleep now-wait!

My phone vibrates in my hand and I let out a relieved smile.

"Hey babe, how was your night?" My boyfriend, Gale, texted me. Thank god he made it home okay.

"Good. How was your night out?"

I waited for ten minutes anxiously staring at the bright screen. No sign of response.

"I'm gonna guess you are asleep. I'm gonna go to bed. Love ya." I text him.

Instantaneously he replies with "I'm not sleeping my queen but you seem tired. Goodnight."

I groan in frustration, throwing my phone against the wall. It just bounces off harmlessly and I put my hands into my face with a sob. "Why is he so dang important to me?" I whisper to myself in silence.

My heart wrenches and my stomach swirls like a storm. My brain is frazzled and my hands shake.

I lay back and shut my eyes, taking a deep shuddering sigh. "All I wanted to do was talk and make sure you were okay. That's all I wanted. And you don't care enough to even text me back barely...except when I say I'm going to bed. That's the only time you seem to like to talk." I must sound psychotic to my neighbors.

But the truth is, I'm just lonely.