Ch 30: Command of the Fleet

Start from the beginning

Eva stroked Rhiess' shoulders. "I know that your half-sister is somewhat of a stranger, but I fear for her. Women's lives are fragile in the hands of men. Death can sometimes be a blessing."

"Aye," agreed Rhiess, "she is but a child, not much older than you were when you came here. Regardless of whom my father favored, I do not wish harm upon my sister. Although, after our last encounter, I am certain that Avaren will judge me less favorably."

"You were angry with your father and lost your temper. She must know by now that you did not mean to strike her. Either way, we cannot alter the past. All we can do is steer the future."

"You are serious about going to Reyza?" asked Rhiess.

Eva released her husband and walked to the fire. "I must." She took up an iron and poked the flames. "In my heart, I know that Rigo is behind all this. My brother is an arrogant fool who is not beyond trading the welfare of his people to satisfy his foolish pride. If Reyza breaks the treaty with Thromm, I fear for the whole of Ibea."

Rhiess crossed his arms. "We both know you do not care about the fate of an entire continent, Eva. What are you not saying? Where is that honesty I so treasure?"

Embers swirled into the smokestack with each of Eva's thrusts. The flames licked higher, casting their orange light upon the friezes that lined the room. Eternally caught in the throes of a raging, marble ocean, the carved ships flickered in the meager light.

"There is a reason I don't discuss my childhood," Eva said, setting the iron back in its stand.

"Perhaps the time has arrived for such a conversation," said Rhiess.

"We will be late for dinner."

"Gøran can wait."

Eva relented. "Pour me some ale. With your permission, I will divulge my grievances against your father; Ven save his soul."

Rhiess walked to a console and took up a pitcher of ale. He poured two goblets and handed one to Eva. His wife's truths tended to rip flesh from bone.

Eva took a seat on one of the two chairs that faced the fire. Rhiess joined her.

The firelight danced upon her features as she spoke. "For years my nightmares have caused you concern. And for years I have evaded your inquiries into my past. I have withheld the horrors of my childhood to protect what little love remains in your heart for your father."

"Whatever wrongs my father has done me, I have forgiven." Rhiess drank deeply. "He didn't deserve to be murdered."

Eva turned to her husband. "The Fates, like the winds, do not care about what we deserve."

"Speak plainly, wife."

"Yes, of course. Rhiess Ensther despises long-winded intercourse unless he is in bed." Eva set the goblet down. "My mother, Laila Osueldo was of Calantian stock, the daughter of Iago Osueldo, a man renowned for his temper. At the age of fourteen, she married my father, Jarle Draos Iarris, a man she had never met. She married him because it was her duty, but eventually grew to love him, or so she once told me. My early childhood was peaceful; happy even. Children often do not know the truths of their world." Eva sighed. "For many years my parents kept my sister and I ignorant of their complications. They sheltered us from the war with Five Isles; the gossip at the court; my father's string of mistresses, and the arguments that raged behind closed doors. But as I grew up, the cracks in the veneer of my familial portrait, became harder and harder to conceal."

Rhiess nursed his drink as he listened to his wife. He knew better than to press her on what was clearly a painful topic.

Eva crossed her legs and relaxed into the chair. "I remember the first time I met your father. Neesa and I were spinning tops in the banquet hall when we were startled by one of the hunting hounds. We screamed and ran. We bolted into the corridor, straight into your father's boots."