"We'll be downstairs if you need anything, alright?" she states.

I nod, "Okay." my voice below a whisper.

She backs away from me and releases my hands making them fall into my lap, and I watch as the three of them exit the room and I don't miss the look Dad passes over at Xavier before the door shuts behind them. Silence encases Noah, Xavier and I, I move my gaze from the door and stare at Noah as he still kneels beside my legs his expression dark while staring at my wrist.

I move my hand to cover the bandage and away from his burning gaze— though, my neck is still showing to the other set of eyes — that causes him to meet my gaze and his eyes begin to brim with unshed tears, breaking my heart.

"I'm sorry," he chokes out, clenching his hands together. "This happened because of me."

I was already shaking my head when he finished his statement, "It's no one's fault, neither one of us knew this was going to happen." I reply, trying to dim down the guilt clearly seen in his eyes.

A deep rumble sounds throughout the room. I ignore it.

Noah's eyes flit over to the door. "But I could have prevented it, If I didn't go inside the house like the coward I am and instead helped you like I wanted to. . ." he trails off, biting his lip before hanging his head.

I could see his fingers trembling and shoulders shaking, without thinking I reach for his hands and place them in my lap as I held them, his head snaps up, his bloodshot eyes colliding with mine as I smile gently at him.

"It's not your fault," I say once more. "Don't take the blame for something that even I couldn't stop," I end with a wince.

A strike of determination crosses over Noah's features when he stares into my eyes, he opens his mouth and speaks with strong confidence. "I promise, next time, I won't let anything happen to you. I won't let any harm come to you, Abigail."

A feeling runs through my chest and it's something I cannot simply shake off, the sincerity in his tone and with every word echoes in my head and I can't help but nod.

"That's enough." Xavier's voice cuts through, I turn away and glance to see him stepping away from the door and toward the bed.

"There won't be a next time, nothing like this will ever happen again. I won't be leaving Abigail's side," he states, a crease between his brows.

Noah gulps and looks back down at the carpeted floor while I continue to stare at Xavier, he moves with grace and confident steps I now notice, he keeps his back straight, and head held high as he walks. He makes it to my side in no time and looks down at Noah.

"If you don't mind, I'll like to spend the rest of the night with my mate," Xavier says, and I narrow my eyes at his tone.

"Of course!" Noah shoots up to his feet so fast my hands are ripped from his, he glances at me then to Xavier then back to me again. "I'll see you around."

Then he's walking across the room and out the door, it shut with a soft click. I twiddle my fingers for a bit, looking down into my lap, and slowly I raise my head connecting gazes with Xavier's potent stare and gradually his shoulders start to sag, and then he drops to his knees his stare softening.

"Xavier!"

He pulls me into his arms, hugging me tightly to his bare chest, arms tightening as the seconds go by. He buries his face in my hair, inhaling deeply, his chest rising with the action and exhales. One of his hands come up and sweeps my hair to the side, the softness of his lips pressing against the vein in my neck. I gasp, shuddering with slight pleasure.