Chapter Five

After Pierce and I went home. He went straight to his bedroom, completely ignoring me. It's like what happened in the kitchen at Havier's house didn't happen at all. I just shrugged and sat on one of the sofas in the living room, turning on the television to look for something to watch.

I spent hours watching tv until I fell asleep. I just woke up when I felt a blanket covering half of my body. I slightly opened my right eye to see who it was. It was Pierce. He gave me a blanket. He still didn't notice that I was awake already. I closed my eyes again when I felt him sit beside me.

I heard him sigh so many times like he had a big problem going on right now. "I regretted kissing you," he said after his last sigh. "Not because I don't like you, but because I don't want things between us to change. I like the way we are right now. I like that we're strangers. I like that we're just casual with each other." I didn't say anything because he knew I was sleeping- I was still sleeping.

"I don't want you to hate me. Because besides the fact that you won't benefit from hating me, you're the only person who doesn't want to be friends with me." he chuckled to himself after saying the last line. "Weird, right?" I saw him shake his head and shut my eyes again to pretend that I was still sleeping. I don't want him to know that I'm awake and that I'm hearing everything he is saying right now.

"You're the only stranger I don't want to lose, Ivory."

And after saying that, I felt him stand up. The door opened, and it closed again. I didn't sense that he was still here. Maybe he went out. I slowly opened my eyes to check if he was still there, but he was not anymore, so I exhaled. It was like I was holding my breath the entire time he was here.

A weird feeling in my chest right now was really new to me. I felt it after hearing everything he said. But there's only one thing I am sure of. It's that I also don't want to lose him because he was the only stranger I would like to stay in my damned life.

"How was your day, you two young man and woman?" My Dad asked while we had our dinner together. It felt like a family again because we were eating together again.

"It was fine," Pierce replied.

"Hmm? Did you bring Ivory with you as I told you?" Carol asked Pierce. Pierce stopped chewing and frowned at Carol. Carol started laughing because of the look Pierce was giving her.

"Yes, I brought her with me, Carol," Pierce said before continuing chewing.

My Dad's eyebrow raised at us. "Where did you two go?" he was like interrogating us. It was like we did something wrong. My goodness.

"We went to Havier's," I said.

"Oh, you finally made a friend already?" My Dad was so excited about the thought that I had finally made friends. I cleared my throat.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but no. I told you, Dad, I don't want friends. Besides, I don't like Havier's friends. They're a bunch of jerks."

"Is that true?" Carol asked.

"How would you know if you're not trying to know them at all?" My Dad said.

"Okay, first of all, they tried to flirt with me, which, by the way, was disgusting. Second, they don't treat Pierce as one of them even though he's friends with Havier. I hate them." I rolled my eyes. I felt Pierce look at me like I said something that surprised him based on the look he was giving me right now. He stopped chewing midway, and he was just staring at me.

"What?" I mouthed him. He shook his head and continued eating.

I continued eating, too, and listened to Dad's and Carol's stories. Carol said she met a fine young man at the bakery this morning and wanted to introduce me to him. She said he's around our age too. Of course, she asked for my Dad's permission if she could introduce me to the man she was talking about, and my Dad said she could because he trusts Carol's judgment about a person. Okay, first of all, do I want to be introduced to that person Carol was talking about? Hello? She should've asked for my permission, not Dad's.