Chapter One

My parents always say that I should enjoy my teenage years. Do the things that a teenager would normally do, like go to a party, have a boyfriend, hang out with friends, and so on. I don't even have a party to attend. I don't see a guy that could potentially be my boyfriend. I don't have friends that I can hang out with. 

My life is boring. I usually lock myself in my room and read novels to entertain myself. I listen to the kind of music that is too sad for others. When I'm in school, I sit at a table, plug my earphones on and pretend to listen to my playlist even though there's really no music playing. I just pretended to listen to music so that no one would talk to me. 

I'm not the nerd who will walk into a library, scan the books there, sit at a table, and do their assignments. I'm the kind of nerd who will walk into a library, find an interesting novel book to read, sit on the floor at the section where I found the novel I'm going to read, and then not care about the people scanning other books as well. 

You can say that I'm an introvert. People don't excite me. Talking to them bores me. I don't get how a group of friends would talk for hours. I mean, what are they talking about? What's exciting about talking about their crushes who wouldn't like them back? I mean, don't they get tired of talking for hours and giggling like an idiot? 

"Hi!" 

And one thing I hate about my life? There's this guy who keeps following me and talking to me when I clearly show him that I am not interested in knowing him. I walked past him and didn't even say hi. I just ignored him like I usually do. 

"Ivory, paano ka magkakaroon ng kaibigan if you will keep ignoring people like they have some kind of disease?" my sister Ivy nagged me again. 

"What do you want me to do? Pretend that I like them? Befriend them, hang out with them and listen to their boring stories for hours?" I snorted. 

"How could you say that when you won't even try?" 

"I don't want to try! I want to keep my peaceful life, okay?" 

"So are you saying that if you make friends or talk to other people, you won't have a peaceful life?" she asked in disbelief. 

"I mean, what's so good about having friends?" I stood up and walked past my sister to lie on my bed. 

"What's so good about having friends is that you enjoy life. You laugh, find crushes together, eat together-" 

"Boo!" I cut her off. 

She looked at me and gave up explaining. I thought I could finally have my peace back for a moment, but then she started nagging at me again. I took my pillow and covered my whole face, including my ears so that I wouldn't hear her voice anymore. 

"Alam mo Ivory, papangarapin ko na lang na may makilala kang isang lalaki na magbabago ng buhay mo." she said, almost cursing my life, before walking out my room. There, I finally had my peace back. 

It was one summer when I went to a public library because I ran out of books that I could read. I was scanning a book when I noticed a guy sitting on the floor in the other section. He's wearing a white polo, knitted navy blue vest, khaki slacks, and white vans. His hair is curly, which suits him so well. He also had these earphones plugged into his phone, so I guess he's listening to some playlist, or he could be pretending that he's listening to some music. 

I closed the book I was holding and returned it to where I got it. I watched the guy bang his head a little while reading a book, so I guess he really is listening to some music. I find him cute while banging his head and humming like he's enjoying the music. He's like a character in some novel I read. He's like that one friend of the main character in a book that I loved the most.