Chapter Four

"Good morning, sweetie!" Carol greeted me when I went to the kitchen to make my coffee. It's the first thing I look for in the morning.

"Good morning, Carol." It's Pierce. He just woke up too. He looked at me and nodded, so I nodded at him too. It was like a thing we do to greet each other.

"I cooked pancakes for the both of you," Carol said and pointed to two plates of pancakes at the counter. "And oh, your Dad went to his company earlier. I'll go to the bakery now," she said to me before getting his purse. "Pierce! You going out?" Carol yelled from the living room.

"Yeah, later. I'm meeting Havier." Pierce replied.

"Make sure to lock the door, okay?" she reminded him. "How about you, Ivory?" she asked me.

"I, uh, I'm staying," I said.

"You're staying? How about you go with Pierce?" she smiled at Pierce, who was now chewing a pancake in his mouth. Pierce got confused and shocked that he had stopped chewing.

"No! It's okay. He's meeting someone, and I don't want to-"

'Yeah, sure. She's coming with me. Now go, Carol. You don't want to make your customers wait, do you?" Pierce gently pushed Carol all the way to the front door, making her laugh.

"Take her with you, okay?" Carol said before she left. Pierce closed the door and went back to the kitchen. He sat on the counter and continued eating his pancakes.

I sipped on my coffee and started eating my pancakes too. We were both quiet as if talking would hurt. "Who's Havier?" I asked him, which I regretted immediately because it wasn't my business at all.

"A friend of mine."

"You have lots of friends."

"You have no idea," he shook his head, smiling.

I looked at him. "Seriously, how many friends do you have?"

"Twelve in the Philippines, and Havier. That makes thirteen."

I gasped. "What?! You have so many friends." It was really shocking because, based on his looks, he didn't look friendly at all. He looks like he prefers to be alone and read all the time.

"Some of them were just mutual friends before, but we became closer," he explained.

"I don't even have the energy to have one," I mumbled.

"Having no friends is not bad."

"I know. That's why I don't have one."

He laughed. It wasn't funny at all, but I made it funny because I was frowning.

We didn't talk again until we both finished our pancakes. He presented to wash the plates and mugs we used, so I went to my bedroom to get some clothes. Apparently, there's no bathroom in my room. There's a shared bathroom on the first floor, though.

"You can use the shower in my bedroom," Pierce yelled from the first floor.

"You have your own bathroom?!" I asked, yelling. That's unfair! He got his own bathroom while my bedroom doesn't have one?!

"Okay, in Carol and Gerald's defense, I've been basically living here for years already, and you just got here yesterday. Who would've known that you would live here?"

I sighed. He's right. And I don't have a right to complain because Pierce was here before me.

"Do you want us to exchange rooms?" he asked. He's now in front of me. He walked so fast I didn't notice him going up the stairs!