Silver

Your hand deepens in the hat and randomly grabs a ticket. It's silver.

«Trafalgar Law!» Nami announces, consulting her list.

The exact moment the name leaves her mouth, half of the girls turn to you with murdering gazes.

Great.

Law is obviously scowling when Vivi drags him to the closet.

«Here! You two have fun!» Nami grins, shoving you inside and closing the sliding door behind you. The dim light falls in the little room.

«Nice costume, Law.»

The guy is dressed up like a bloody mummy, with feet of gauze, probably stolen from his clinic.

«Courtesy of Cora-san.» he huffs «He insisted so much I agreed just to make him quiet.»

You giggle at the picture.

«I can imagine!»

Law looks around and ends up leaning against the wall, arms crossed.

«Well, since we're here, I might as well ask you something it's been on my mind for a while.» he says with his usual annoyed voice.

You look at him, surprised.

It's not so common for Trafalgar Law to openly express any kind of interest towards someone, even if it's just for a question.

«What do you want to know?»

«You had an internship with Caesar Clown, and you suddenly interrupted it.» he states, staring at you «I want to know why.»

Your lips tighten for a second.

«No particular reason. Life got in the way I guess.»

«Caesar Clown is one of the best scientists of the city. You don't just let life get in the way.» he bluntly retorts.

You move your gaze, pretending to look around the room as well.

«Maybe I was not so interested then...»

«Y/n-ya.»

His resolute voice catches your attention back. His silver eyes are burning holes in yours.

«Tell me the truth.»

You bite your bottom lip.

You and Law attended college together, both with scientific addresses, and bounded a lot back then. Eventually, you happened to move in his same complex and hang out with Luffy's group, which he occasionally joins too. You can consider him one of your oldest friends.

But, when a few months ago you interrupted your internship in Caesar's lab, he was disappointed, to the point he spoke lesser and lesser to you.

«I thought about it,» he resumes, since you were not answering «and I reached the conclusion there's something else you're not saying. I know you, Y/n-ya, you'd never let go an opportunity like this without a good reason.»

«Law...»

«I don't want to push you.»

He lifts from the wall, walking in your direction until he towers over you. His sharp silver eyes and his low voice make you feel like a little girl.

«I'm just worried about you.»

Your gaze plummets to the floor, and the answer escapes your lips in a breath.

«He touched me.»

It's the first time you say it out loud.

Well, maybe "loud" is not the right word, but still.

It doesn't feel as horrible as you thought it would be. Sure, insidious tears are tingling the corner of your eyes, but you had months to put up with it now.

It's not like Caesar raped you or anything. He just managed to slip a hand inside your panties before you were able to storm outside the lab. He threatened to destroy your career if you spoke. He could do that, after all, he knew all the scientists of the country. Some words about how terrible you were in the lab, and the game would be done.

Law grits his teeth.

«That filthy bastard!»

Your body is shaking lightly. He places his tattooed hand on your bare shoulder, lifting your chin with the other.

«I was expecting something like this, so I acted already.»

You blink confused, as he brushes a tear away from your cheek with his finger.

«I tracked down three other girls who were groped by him in the past. They didn't talk to preserve their career, but now they have stable jobs and are willing to speak out.»

«You... when did you...»

«All I needed was for you to say it. Let me take care of the rest. I'll destroy that son of a bitch.»

A tight knot in your throat prevents you from talking, so you bury your face in this chest. His slender arms circle your shoulders.

«It's okay, Y/n-ya. Just come straight to me next time, will you?»

You nod against his costume.

Law places a light kiss on your hair.

«Good.»

When Nami opens the door, you're still between his arms, and he doesn't let you go, guiding you back in the hall and firing icy gazes to all the ones who dare to stare.