"Father"

Chapter XIIX

Kid twirls to look at you.  “Father!?  Eibon is your father!?

“Oh, crap,” says Mirosaki, her eyes almost as wide as yours.  “Oh, crap crap crap crap crap.”

You aren’t able to say anything, only able to stand there and look upon your father, the only one you hate more than Arachne.  Stein stands in the corner, incapable of doing anything that would help.  Even with his mask on, you can tell Eibon is smirking.

“Now, about that negotiation?  I have made a demon tool, and I was considering giving it to a friend of mine.  He is a kishin, nearly as powerful as the one you recently fought, and with the demon tool he will become even more powerful.”  He looks at Kid expectantly, waiting for a response.

Kid narrows his eyes.  “What do you want?”

“I simply want returned to me what has been lost to me.  My conditions are that I will destroy the demon tool upon having my daughter returned, preferably with her meister.”

“If I wanted to come back to you, I would have.  We ran from you and Arachne for a reason.”  Finding your voice, you take a small step forward in attempt to defy Eibon.

“What your reasoning is does not matter.  I sent you off to find a meister, and the most suitable one just happened to be a powerful witch’s daughter.  I ensured that no harm came to you while you were in her care, did I not?”

“Mirosaki was abused.  You didn’t stop that!  We ran away because, one, you didn’t even care to come and see me or get me out of that H*** hole, and two, because Arachne treated her daughter like a defective animal!”

Kid remains silent through the conversation while Eibon continues.  “Mirosaki’s well-being was, and still is, none of my concern.”  He turns to face Black*Star, who had silently been listening the whole time.  Before this, he hadn’t even known that Mirosaki was a witch.  “I thought I had ensured that the other members of Spartoi were preoccupied with assignments.”

Black*Star glares at Eibon, as though he were staring into his soul.  “I blew it off.”

Eibon chuckles.  “Youth these days.  Just like my rebellious daughter.  It would be appreciated if you handed her over to me.”

“Never!” growls Kid, putting his arm in front of you.

“Kid,” you say.  “You know what will happen if I don’t go back.”

“We beat the last kishin!” Black*Star points out.  “What’s so different about this one?”

Mirosaki looks her crush dead in the eye, and says, “You beat him because of his paranoia and insecurity.  This one would be different.  Besides, I’m a witch, as you now know, so there’s no point in protecting me.”

This only angers Black*Star even more.  “Witch or not, you’re still Mirosaki!  Am I upset that you didn’t tell me?  A little.  But does that mean I won’t love you anymore?  H*** no.”

Mirosaki blushes a bit.  “You… you love me?”

“Enough of this nonsense.”  You glare at Eibon as he interrupts your friend’s happy moment.  “Now, (Your Name), are you ready to leave?”

You have to.  You can’t risk another kishin coming along.  You go to step forward, only to have Kid step in front of you.  “No.  She isn’t going anywhere.”

“Kid… I’m going.  I don’t care if you think you can take the kishin.”  You walk forward and turn to face Kid.  His face is a mixture of sadness and horror.  “I’m sorry.”  You glance at Mirosaki.  “Are you coming?  You don’t have to.”

“But it is preferred,” your father butts in, earning a glare from you.

Mirosaki sighs.  “Black*Star, I’m sorry, I go where she goes.”

“But… but…” Black*Star stutters, his eyes turning hollow.

Mirosaki smiles.  “I’ll visit, I promise.”

“I will, too,” you say, smiling weakly at Kid.  You and Mirosaki walk over to Eibon, and begin to exit.

“You realize, (Your Name), that I won’t let you visit this place,” Eibon whispers.

“I know.  I just don’t think I could stand seeing the look of despair on his face that that sort of news may leave.”  You look at Mirosaki to see your meister shedding silent tears.  “Don’t worry, Miro-chan.  You’ll be allowed to visit.”

As you exit the building, you think about what will happen next.  Your father is basically the keeper of all knowledge, so you wonder if he’ll let you keep yours.  “Eibon… father… may I keep my memories, at least?”

He chuckles and looks at you, and behind that mask, you can tell he’s giving you that same smile yet again.  “Oh, (Your Name),” he says.  “Of course you can’t.”

WOOP!!! 148 VOTES, AND 3,942 READS!!!!  Thank you!  And again, sorry for the late updates.  This chapter was a little harder because I wanted to get everything to flow right and make sure the reader understands what the fudge is happening.

Q&A Time, with Hatsuye-Senpai!

“Who do you think is cuter, Black*Star or Soul?” – Maka_The_Bookworm

Don’t hate me for this, but… Black*Star.  >.<  I’m sorry, Soul fans!

Keep sending in questions!