Chapter Twenty One

*Kurt Hummel*

The crowd erupts into a sudden frenzy, heads popping up as people rise to their feet, their hands clapping together with such volume that it sounds almost like a waterfall slapping again the surface of water. The spotlight almost seems to intensify, my eyes squinted as I stare out at the audience, having a hard time believing that that applause is for me. My breathing is uneven, and my heart seems to have lurched its way into my throat. I've never felt so alive.

I see my father's head among the crowd, a smile spread across his face as he cups his hands around his mouth, and yells out. I can't help but grin back.

Blaine is in the spot next to him, easily recognizable in his Dalton blazer. His smile gleams in the florescent lights. He sees me look at him, and gives me an enthusiastic thumbs up, to which I return the gesture quickly, resisting the urge to run down the steps of the stage and into his arms.

A hand wraps around my waist, bringing me back to my immediate surroundings. Rachel pulls herself into my hip, Finn on her other side, their hands intertwined, both wearing the same look on their faces--joy, triumph, everything I'm feeling.

I glance around at the rest of the glee club members on the stage around me. Tina, Mike, Sam, Quinn, Puck, Artie, Mercedes, Santana, Brittany, everyone has smiles upon their faces. Mr. Schue is cheering for us offstage, not yet allowed to come on stage, although our performance is complete. I had performed the closing song for the New Directions. I try not to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to think we did fantastic with the uproar around us. Sectionals is officially over for this year, for better or for worse.

The glee club exits the stage after we all bow and Rachel yells out a couple "I love yous." All of us are whooping and hollering as we go down the hallway.

"We did awesome!" Sam grins.

"We have this competition in the bag!" Artie agrees, wheeling alongside him.

Mercedes nudges me as she passes me. "Great job, Kurt! Totally nailed it."

"Yeah," Brittany agrees. "Half the time I couldn't even tell the difference from you and Faith Hill."

"In the best way." Quinn adds quickly, flashing me a small smile, her lips shimmering with lip gloss.

"Yeah, dude. Didn't know you had it in ya." Puck slaps me on the back as he passes me.

I can't help but grin to myself. I've never felt so at home, like I belonged. Glee club has opened up something new in my life, something I never would have thought I'd have.

Friendship. A friendship so strong that we are a family, bonded together by song, as cheesy as it may be. I don't care. I'll take the whole cheesecake if this is the price I pay. I wouldn't trade the relationships I've developed with these people over the past year for anything.

The only thing missing now is Blaine.

***

"And in first place of the 2014 Lima Ohio Sectionals is...the New Directions!" the announcer proclaims. My peers' voices overcome all other senses as they cheer with glee. I feel Rachel hug me, and see Mr. Schue take the trophy, holding it up triumphantly. A hand from each body reaches out to grab hold of the trophy--one team.

After celebrating for some time after the announcement, we head out to the bus, ready to head back to the school. I walk out of the school, and feel the cool air bite at my arms through the thin long sleeved dress shirt I am wearing, the air getting much more crisp as the year nears its cold months.

I longer back a little bit from the group, staring up at the dark sky as I walk. The moon is half full precisely, the stars twinkling around it, a couple whispy, smoky clouds coiling around them, almost like a blanket.

"Kurt!" a familiar voice calls behind me, accompanied by the sound of shoes slapping against the pavement.

I turn halfway around to see Blaine jogging towards me. I break out into a grin, and before I can prepare, he barrels into me, enveloping me in an embrace. "You did amazingly." he whispers in my ear excitedly, making me grin from ear to ear

"Thank you. I'm so glad you came."

"I wouldn't miss it for anything, silly." Blaine scoffs as he pulls away, although his hands still stay planted on my shoulders, as if keeping me hostage in his hold. I lean in and peck him on the cheek, his skin warm to the touch.

Blaine smiles at me, his hazel eyes dancing with color under the moon. "I love you." he says, then his eyes grow wide, suddenly aware of what he said.

Taken aback, I stare at him for a moment, waiting for him to say 'haha, just kidding, Kurt! You should have seen your face!' or 'sorry, I didn't mean that.' Or something remotely similar. But instead, Blaine's eyes stay confidently locked on my own, patiently awaiting my response.

My mind kicks into overdrive. What will it mean for us if I say it back? I've known for quite some time that I love Blaine, I just have never had the balls to say it out loud. I never really imagined what it would be like to bear the words, exchange the words, what it would really mean.

I feel as though those three words are tossed around too carelessly nowadays. I think it's a real commitment if you say them, like a promise. Something that should only be said if you really and truly mean it.

I feel the pressure threatening to overwhelm me. I try to force my mouth to form the words, but I can't. Why is it so difficult?

I know why.

Saying I Love You would mean that I have to be honest with Blaine. Granted, there isn't a rule book for it, in fine print reading the words: KURT HUMMEL MUST INFORM BLAINE ANDERSON OF HIS SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, but I feel as though it's a given. If I am going to be committed to Blaine, completely open myself to him, I need to tell him the truth. Otherwise, he doesn't know a large part of who I am. The boy who he claims to love.

I realize too late that while I've been contemplating this, Blaine has been waiting for an answer. He has removed his hands, and is gazing at me, a serious expression on his face.

"I'm sorry if uh, that made things uncomfortable, or weird. I don't want o freak you out, you don't have to say it back--" he starts in a rush.

"No, Blaine. I love you too." I say, then exhale the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. Once the words have been released, I feel a sudden happiness, like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. The feeling I've always wanted is now there--the feelings of loving someone, and having them love you equally as much, and expressing it. It isn't describable to someone who hasn't experienced it.

Blaine's eyes light up in obvious jubilance. "Really?"

I chuckle, although I feel my brain ache with impending doom. "Yes, Blaine. I love you."