Chapter Two

*Kurt Hummel*

"How about this one?" Rachel exits the bathroom for the fourth time, hand placed on her hip, making a full circle rotation so I can get a full view of the dress.

"Finn will love it," I reassure her. "I think he told me once he loves you in blue." 

Rachel breaks out into a grin and does a little bounce of excitement, giddy as ever. "You really think so?" she turns to face the mirror, readjusting her hair back to perfection. After all, nothing can be too perfect for Rachel Berry. "Finn and I don't go out very much, so I want it to be perfect!"

I lean back against Rachel's pillow. "C'mon Rachel, you know Finn as well as I do, better even. He won't give a rip about what you're wearing. He isn't much for fashion, in case you can't tell by his collection of plaid shirts and worn out hoodies," 

Rachel smiles and laughs. "I love his style. It's so...Finn," she tousels my hair as she sits next to me, to which I immediately fix. "Not everyone can be a fashionista like you,"

"Well he could be, if he took my advice more often," I point out, placing my hands behind my head as I stare at Rachel's ceiling. 

I can't seem to put my whole heart and mind into helping Rachel with her date problems. Normally I'd be happy to help, but today my mind is elsewhere, at the park, gone with the guitar playing boy. I want, more than anything, to hear him laugh, to learn his name..

Suddenly, a pillow collides with the side of my face, catching me off guard. 

"Kurt!" Rachel's ruby red lips that are sure to be worn off by the end of the night are formed into a pout. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Yeah, of course I am."

"Liar." she sacks me again with the pillow, laughing now. I pick up the pillow behind me and smack her in the head with it in return. She lays on her stomach on her bed next to me, and rests her head on her hands, crossing her ankles in the air. "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Nothing really," I mumble, sitting up crosslegged. Truth is, I have not the slightest clue as to why I'm thinking of that guy so much. Sure, I'd seen my fair share of attractive men in my lifetime, but none of them have occupied my everyday thoughts like this one. There was just something about him that has apparently given itself the right to invade my brain to the extent of Rachel noticing. 

"You're smiling!" Rachel points an accusing finger at me, then her jaw drops slightly, her mouth forming a small 'o' with the look of a discovery. "You have a crush on someone!"

"Why do you say that?" I scoff.

"You have that far-off, starry eyed look of a lovestruck teenager!" Rachel says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. "Who is it? What's his name?" Rachel gushes. 

I rub a hand down my face in frustration, shaking my head. "There is no one!" 

"There's no use lying about it." Rachel argues as she sits up, crossing her arms over her chest firmly, obviously intent on getting the nonexistent details out of me.

A soft knock on the door interrupts me as I open my mouth to speak, thank God. 

"Yes?" Rachel calls, shooting me a look that says 'you're safe for now.'

"It's Finn," a male voice says gruffly from the other side of the door. Rachel's expression immediately perks up, and I can't help but half smile at the pure adoration on her face as she yanks open the door and engulfs Finn in a hug, burying her face in his chest.

I try to imagine myself in her position, greeting a boyfriend, burying my face in his chest, writing love songs for him, doodling his name into notebooks, but my mind draws a blank. I've never had a boyfriend, or even kissed someone. Gay guys are hard to come by, I've never met one that was out like I am. I don't have the slightest clue what it's like to love, or be loved.

"Hey, Kurt," Finn raises his hand in a wave to me, half smiling. Finn and I have gotten quite close over these past few weeks, since we were paired in Glee club to sing a duet together, and had to hang out to practice and such, which naturally meant I'd be hanging out with Rachel. I'm actually still getting used to that, the whole having friends thing. It's not the Kurt Hummel Way. The Kurt Hummel Way consists of writing songs alone in his room and taking pictures of random things and competing for solos against Rachel Berry for the lastest glee competition Mr. Shuester put on. Kurt Hummel isn't supposed to have friends, because Kurt Hummel is gay, thus giving him a shushie facial by the football team each day he enters the school doors.

"You look great, both of you," I tell them as I stand, preparing to head out the door with them.

"Thanks," Rachel and Finn chime, intertwining their hands. 

"You two going to Breadstix?" I ask, although the obvious answer is yes. There isn't much to offer here in Lima, Ohio, except for a rundown school and a resturaunt that may or may not be FDA appoved.

"Yup, then Rachel's gonna head over to my place." Finn explains, smiling down at Rachel. Finn has to smile down at everyone, though, so it's no surprise there.

 I raise an eyebrow at them, to which Finn's gaze drifts down as he smiles, catching my train of suspicion. "No funny businuess, ya hear?" I tease, pointing a finger at Rachel and Finn in turn. 

"No worries," Rachel smiles wide, and then heads out the door, me at their heels. 

I hop into my car once we're outside, but I don't start it right away. I watch as Finn holds the door open for Rachel, then shuts the door, and goes around the car to get in the drivers side. I see him lean over and kiss her before starting his truck and driving away. 

As much as I try not to, my mind keeps repeating the same thought all the drive home:

Why can't I find a love like that?