Chapter Five

*Kurt Hummel*

"I've never been here before," I murmur as I follow Blaine into the door of The Lima Bean, the coffee shop that was nonexistent to my knowledge, until just now.

Blaine glanced over his shoulder at me as he heads for a booth close to the window. "Really? I come here all the time!" he slides into the seat, and shrugs off his coat. I debate on whether I should sit next to him, or across from him, then decide on the latter. 

"I usually go to Breadstix." I respond, taking off my coat and setting it in the unoccupied spot next to me. 

Blaine cocks his head to the side, a playful smirk on his face that makes my heart melt. "Never been there. I guess we're both going to have to introduce each other to new experiences, now won't we?" 

"Guess so." I watch as Blaine stands, and looks at me. "What kind of coffee do you like? I'll get it for you."

"Um, surprise me." I say lamely, unsure of what the menu might be like. Truthfully, I've never really had much coffee, unless it's smothered in sugar and or creamer, but I guess there is a first to everything. 

Blaine nods, and turns heel and walks away, leaving me sitting in the booth, looking after him, watching the grace with each step he takes, the confidence in his steps. He seems so sure of himself, unlike me, who can't even step into the school without worrying what people may think of me. Hell, I'm not even sure if I know what I think of myself. I'm just a plain out mess. It's only a matter of time before Blaine realizes this, and leaves. 

Interrupting my thoughts, and probably for the better, Blaine sits down and slides a Styrofoam cup of unknown coffee towards me. "Drink up." he orders me, smiling. I gingerly take a sip of the coffee, tasting more chocolatey that coffee-like, and it's good, way better than I expected. I take a larger sip, then set the cup down. "It's awesome, thanks," I tell Blaine. "Did you get the same?"

"No, I actually have just black coffee." Blaine shrugs. "I get something different every time I come here." 

I shudder at the thought of the bitter black coffee. "Ugh, I don't see how you can stand drinking that!"

Blaine chuckles, taking a dramatic drink of his coffee, making me laugh. "So, who are your friends at your school?" Blaine asks.

My mind draws blank, going into panic mode. I really don't have any friends, other than Finn and Rachel, and even we don't talk very often. 

"Well, there's Finn Hudson, and Rachel Berry--you met Rachel at the bookstore."

"Oh, yeah, I remember." Blaine nods. "Finn Hudson...why does that name sound familiar to me?"  

I stay quiet, letting Blaine figure out his thoughts. After a moment he snaps his fingers. "I know! His mom is Carole, right? My dad works with his mom."

"Small world." I say, cocking my head to the side in thought.

"No kidding! Then again, there aren't many people who don't know each other in Lima." 

"True, it's almost like the whole town is incest-ed, with how tight-knitted the community is." I agree. Blaine laughs, a genuine laugh, the first real laugh I've heard, and it's contagious, causing me to laugh along with him.

"Has anyone ever told you you're really easy to talk to?" Blaine rests is head on his hand. "Like, it feels like we've been friends for a long time, and we only met the other day!"

"I know, I've never really...connected with anyone as fast as I have with you." I agree, taking another drink of my coffee. Blaine nods, and after a moment of silence he begins talking again. "So, back to the friend thing, is Rachel your girlfriend?"

Time seems to freeze in this moment, my blood running cold. This is the moment that could ultimately change everything. I could tell him, right now, that I'm gay. That would get it out of the way, but what if he's homophobic, or something? 

"No-no, she's Finn's girlfriend." I respond, and open my mouth to say "and I'm gay." but snap it back shut, changing my mind at the last minute. It couldn't hurt to keep things simple and not awkward for the time being, now would it?

"Oh, I see." Blaine says. "You have a lucky lady in your life?"

Ugh, can't we ditch the dating conversation?

"Uh, nope, single as a single person could get." I inform him, then raise an eyebrow at him. "How about yourself?"

"Nahh, I'm the same way. I don't think I really interest anyone at my school." Blaine says hesitantly.

Why wouldn't they be interested in you? I for one am very interested!

"I'm sure the right one will come along." I reassure him. Blaine nods, and continues talking, now changing the subject.

We talk and get acquainted for almost two hours, before I unwillingly announce that my dad had told me to be home a half hour ago. 

"Well we should totally do this again sometime!" Blaine says, his eyes sparkling. "You get a hold of me whenever you're free, alright?"

I nod, thinking to myself how I am always free, and always willing to hang out with Blaine. 

"Sounds awesome!" I tell him. "See ya later!"

"Bye, Kurt!" my heart skips a beat as he says my name. As I hop in my car, my head spins with thoughts of Blaine, my heart still pounding, my ears still echoing with his voice saying my name.