Chapter 14: The Last Game

~August~

Graye and Ives seem to hang in midair as they both reach for the ball. What I'm seeing is like played in slow motion.

"And the Tigers have the first hold!" The commentator exclaims.

I punch the air. That's the way to go, Ives!

Ives dribbles the ball and passes it to Jude. Graye stands guard to Ives while Jude jumps as if he is about to shoot. The two guys defending the opponent's basket block him, but Jude suddenly passes the ball to Bryde who is unguarded.

"Kurt scores a two! The Tigers are on the first lead," the commentator says.

Applause breaks on our side and Bryde's fan girls shout at the top of their lungs. I don't know which among the two kinds of noises is more deafening.

Now, the ball is in Graye's possession. He moves like an expert on the court and easily gets through our team's defense.

"Philips shoots a three! The Lions are now on the lead!"

Shouts erupt from the other side of the gym. I clench my fists in irritation. Darn it!

Ives is holding the ball again. He makes a pass to Tristan who enters the opponent's side of the court. He is surrounded by three members of the other team. Tristan dribbles the ball in this way and that to confuse them. Even I am surprised when he suddenly makes a pass to Bryde who passes to their teammate named Finn who in turn passes the ball to Jude who finally passes it to Ives.

"Layce also scores three! What a great strategic play from the Tigers!"

Another round of applause from our side and a shrieking cheer from Ives' fans. As usual, Ives ignores his supporters.

The Rewal guy from Graye's team is the one who's dribbling the ball now. He passes it to someone called McLeen. The guy Mcleen enters our court and tries to shoot a two, but it is blocked by Tristan. Tristan is supposed to hold the ball but then when he blocks McLeen, the ball hits the basket's rim and bounces out of his reach to another player from the Lions.

"Seldon from the Lions gains two points for a lay-up!"

Our team is in possession again. Finn makes a pass to Bryde. Bryde attempts to go near the opponent's basket, but he is stopped by no other than Graye.

"A steal by Philips! He passes to Rewal. Rewal shoots... and bam! The Lions are really defending their title."

After the dunk from Rewal, Jude is the one dribbling the ball now. He passes to Ives. The exact moment Ives takes hold of the ball, he suddenly makes a risky shot meters away from the opponent's basket.