Chapter Two ~ a New Life:

Her father had cleaned up rather nicely and no longer smelt like booze; which Reine noticed right away, as she climbed up into his thick arms and curled up against his chest. She calmed down, her body started to stop shaking, and she looked up at her father. His little girl noticed he had trimmed his hair and beard; she barely recognized him.

For the first time in her life that she could remember, he wrapped his arms around her and stood, picking her up. He had a grin on his face; all new things for her, causing her to become flabbergasted. Her father chuckled softly, and she tucked her head against his chest embarrassed.

Zaül spoke with cheer, before she looked up and wiped the last tear from her eyes, "Not too bad for your first time. I did the same thing when I was a git."

"Really? That really hurt, Daddy. Do I have to train?"

He nodded in response at first, but gave a worried expression. He carefully considered his words for a moment, as his daughter looked up to him with fear in her eyes. Her father answered kindly with a curious expression.

"Yes, but don't you like learning?"

She nodded to him in response with a hopeful expression on her face. His little girl was scared, but he was right - she was definitely more curious than scared. She listened carefully, as her father spoke again frankly; while she was unsure, as he went on.

"Good, I can't promise you won't feel any pain, but that machine has a safety belt and if you use it, it will keep you from getting this hurt, okay?"

"Okay..."

"I will patch you up and then, after you rest a little, you can try again and I will help."

Zaül chuckled again and carried her over to the chair, setting her down in it. He walked to the bathroom, returned with a first aid box, and started to care for her wounds. She pondered, 'I like the new relationship I have with my father and want to make him proud, but this training is scary.'

His little girl's face lit up in blush, as she whispered, "I like that idea... I tried really hard, Daddy."

"I know, git. Don't worry so much. That was just your first try and you did really well."

He shook his head, as he finished cleaning and wrapping her wounds. She was still a little red in the face and choked up. She beamed up at her father, as she retorted sadly.

"I still wanted to do better, Daddy. I don't want you to lose interest in me again. I like it when you talk to me."

He looked up and sighed. The way her mother passed her facial features to her was deadly to the man. Every time he looked at her, he felt a pang of pain in his chest. His daughter was almost the spitting image of her mother.

He spoke with regret, "I am always interested in you - sometimes it's just hard for me, because I miss your mother and you're so much like her."

"I wish I knew mommy..."

"I wish you did too," Reine looked at her bandages, and Zaül got all choked up again; before he stood and cleared his throat, as he continued,"Well, usually you would have started your training with hand-to-hand combat. Since you're already all banged up, you should do the simulator or flight endurance training. It will be easier on your body."

"Okay... I think I'd rather do the other thing. The simulator still kinda scares me."

"Okay, but you're going to have to do it again soon - so get over that."

He chuckled at her and shook his head, as he turned and started walking; he quickly led her to the machine that looked like a ride. Once she caught up, he took a helmet out of the seat and strapped it carefully to her head. He quickly picked her up and placed her into the seat. He spoke to her, as he started for the control panel.