Chapter 7

"The main focus of the exam was to work together as a team," Raicho admitted, turning her attention to the rest of the team. "We were supposed to work together, and Kakashi Sensei was going to pretend that we got a bell as a team, then let us have the second one. He would then ask us who would be repeating the Academy, then we would say, 'We're not leaving anyone behind!' Then we would pass the exam without a issue."

"But then did he have only two bells?"

"It was to put us against each other. Kakashi Sensei's exam is portraying a common dilemma every ninja faces sometime in the future," Raicho continued. "First, ninjas are always pitted against each other, no matter what team they are on. Second, no matter the result, we needed to remain as a team.

Unfortunately, some people are double-crossers and lie behind solemn vows and twisted contracts. A trusted comrade today and a filthy liar tomorrow.

"He sort of wanted us to trust each other and hopefully work together so that we would take the risk and fight together and pass the exam as a team. However..." she trailed off, turning her attention back to their sensei. "There's a specific reason, isn't there?"

Kakashi Sensei held her gaze evenly, and Raicho continued, saying, "In the world of ninjas, the main focus is to complete the mission at all costs. People are just another number. Someone dies, it's no biggie. Ninjas are replaceable."

"That's right," Sakura agreed, looking down at her lap sadly. "Ninjas are just tools." The mood became even more somber, and Raicho paused before continuing on.

"However, Kakashi Sensei's morals are different. He sees ninjas as people, as comrades, as friends. This exam was to ask us, 'how much do you value your team as a team?'"

Raicho had a enigma in that moment.

Kakashi Sensei must have lost someone who had taught this idea to him. A teacher, perhaps. No...it must have been one of his teammates. That's why he used this exam against them. So that they would suffer the same conditions, follow the same concept, and take the same consequence. This exam was to simulate his past and to remind himself of his own lesson learned.

Kakashi Sensei went into a solemn monologue, walking over to the KIA (Killed in Action) monument as he did so. As he spoke, Raicho recalculated her hypothesis and nodded at her mental corrections. Shewas right. It must have been someone close to him, around his age, who had changed his moral values.

"I'm going to give you guys one more chance," Kakashi Sensei finally announced, bringing them all back from their thoughts. "Since Raicho and Naruto were the worst of the four of you, only Sakura and Sasuke can eat lunch." He placed the two lunch boxes in front of them.

Sasuke and Sakura took the food, while Naruto's stomach growled helplessly. Raicho could feel the knot in her own stomach turn uncomfortably.

"Feed them, and you guys all fail and WILL repeat the Academy. My word is law here," he threatened darkly. "Once you guys finish, you four have another chance to fight me again and get these bells. Got it?"

"Hai!"

With their acknowledgement, he left in a cloud of wispy smoke. Sakura and Sasuke opened their lunch boxes and began eating, Naruto's stomach growling intensely, while Raicho stood up and stretched out my abdomen, hoping to ease out the knot.

Suddenly, Sasuke extended his hand out, his chopsticks holding some food, towards Naruto. "Eat. We need everyone's strength to get him. We can't afford anyone to slow us down."

"Sasuke-kun--!" Sakura gasped, but Sasuke quickly cut her off.

"It's fine. He's not here," he added, glancing around. Raicho also took the opportunity to look for Kakashi Sensei, trying to pinpoint him, but it seemed either he had vanished completely, or he was super good at hiding.

"I don't see--whop!" She was jerked down by Sakura who handed the chopsticks to her. She didn't relinquish her hold on the lunch box, however, just in case Kakashi Sensei came back.

"Hurry, before he comes back--" without delay, Raicho leaned over her arm and shoved some rice and soybeans into her mouth, handing the chopsticks back to Sakura as she chewed. Sakura followed suit and was about to pass the utensils back to Raicho when--

"YOU FOUR!"

Startled, Sakura yelped and leaped back, hiding behind Raicho, the lunch box thankfully still in her hands.

"You guys weren't supposed to feed them!" Kakashi Sensei warned, the tension among them grew.

"B-but you said we were a team!" Naruto yelled from his spot against the post.

Sasuke caught on and joined the protest. "That's right. We're a team, and we're going to help each other no matter what. Isn't that your philosophy, Sensei?"

"No matter what!" Sakura yelled from behind Raicho bravely.

"We are a team even if we don't fight," she added.

"You four..." he drawled. "PASS!"

Instantly, the tension was gone and Kakashi Sensei's face was nothing more than comic relief.

"What?"

"You guys pass! Congrats, we are Team Seven from this day forth!"

Raicho blinked uncertainly. Kakashi Sensei just did a complete one-eighty right there. Sakura's outcry brought her back to the present as Raicho opened her arms to get a hug from Sakura.

"We made it, we made it!" Sakura screamed, so happy that the test was official over.

"That's great, I almost though we seriously were going to go back," Raicho said, relieved.

"Yeah!"