Life Changes- Chapter 1

New and Improved Chapter one of this story. This story was here for a while but I hadn't been committed enough before to actually continue it. Now I hope I can finish it completely. 

Happy Reading.

-Bee. x:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Changes

*Chapter 1* 

(Charlie's perspective) 

The smell of warm waffles wafted through the hall as I opened my bedroom door. It was mouth watering and made me smile. Waffles only meant one thing: Dad was making breakfast. Dad's breakfasts always beat mums' health-inspired, tofu-filled ones. Not so yum.

A wave of sadness hit me full in the face. It was as if a pail of ice had been thrown at me as I remembered the truth. Dad and mum were gone. Dad wouldn't be there to make waffles anymore. Mum wouldn't be there to make me smile routinely every morning. A traitorous tear made its way down my face. I brushed it away stubbornly. I refused to let meaningless tears fall. Tears showed weakness and I couldn't deal with a pity-party right now.

I walked into the kitchen, my emotions a tight bundle in my chest.

I found my beautiful little sister talking animatedly to our loving aunt. Jane was four and still didn't really understand that mum and dad weren't coming back from their 'special holiday with God'. She was so adorable it made my heart burst every time she asked me when her 'bestest parents ever' were coming home. "Soon," I'd always reply, not having the heart to see tears fill her beautiful eyes.

She was the spitting image of my mother. Her hair a chocolate brown and her deep blue eyes putting the sky to shame. Janice noticed my presence and her perfect doll face lit up considerably. 

"Sissy!" she exclaimed, "Good Morning!" 

She made it easier to push my feelings aside. I rushed to her sitting on the breakfast bar stool and swooped her into a big bear hug. I put her giggling self down and smacked a big kiss on her cheek. Her tinkling laugh warmed my heart. 

"Good Morning to you too, babycakes," I replied, a large smile on my face.

I walked over to Anne and kissed her cheek too. I was so thankful that she had taken us in. Anne had been my mother's sister and my father's best friend. Dad had met mum through Anne after all. Anne's husband had died a year ago and she was kind enough to take us in with open arms. It had only been six days after my parents' terrible plane crash. 

"Good Morning Anne." 

"Morning to you too, soldier," she replied.

I heard the familiar honking of my best friend, outside. I looked down at my watch and almost cussed in front of Janice. I settled for a "Holy crap!" which was shortly followed by a disapproving look from Anne. I was going to be late for my first day of Year 12. 'Great,' I thought sarcastically. I grabbed my tattered hurley school bag and ran for the door. 

"Bye Anne. Be good at school today Jane!" I yelled as I left the house.

I was greeted by my best friend's impatient honking once more as I leapt into her ancient truck. I kept telling Becca to ditch it. But she claimed she had some bizarre 'attachment' to the rustic thing. 

"What took you so long, Char?" she asked impatiently, flicking her wavy hair over her shoulder. 

"Sorry Bec," I answered, "nerves had me waking late." 

"Are you sure it was the nerves? Because girl you look good today," she retorted in her teasing voice. 

I glanced down at my outfit. I was wearing a waist-high checked skirt that reached my knees, accompanied by a sleeve-less black v-neck tee. Oh and of course, my trademark converse. Becca on the other hand was dazzling. She had on a fitted red polo tee that put her curves on show. And her jean shorts were definitely going to call some whistles. 

"You don't look so bad yourself," I winked at her, as we drove to school.

-At school-

"Miss Charlie Stewart and Miss Becca Wavery. It's nice of you to join us," shrilled Mrs Sherin, our first teacher of the day. 

Geez, I thought. We were only 8 minutes late. I scanned the class, looking for two empty seats beside each other. There were obviously none since all the good seats had been taken. My disappointed gaze landed back on Becca and her face mirrored mine. I smiled begrudgingly at her and went to find a single seat for myself. 

We ended up having to sit on opposite ends of the class since it was full, which already meant the class would be no fun. There was no fun without Becca.  

That's when I noticed him. 

I took the vacant seat beside him and tried to ignore his drop-dead gorgeous stare. I hopelessly failed and stole a peek at him. He was still looking at me with a mischievous grin. I almost fainted. His hair was jet black, styled in a messy artful way. His eyes were the same colour as his hair and were so deep, I subconsciously held my breath. What a hottie. I felt colour rush to my cheeks as I looked at his soft, pink lips, wondering how they would feel. Against mine.

He smiled more wickedly now. His smile meant trouble. Trouble with a promise.

I felt my heart flutter. Then the world swam before my eyes and everything went black. Forgetting to breathe could do that to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment, vote, subscribe :)