He's back

One way or another, I had to be certain he was gone. I got into my car and started driving.
I couldn't see anything but brown grass and broken concrete.
Maybe if I could just see a little bit further, I thought as I scrambeled on top of my car. I perched on top of it uncertainly, scanning the horizon for any sign.
I started to scream.

Where are you and Why are you doing this and Please, I can't take this and I don't understand, please.

Please. I don't want to live forever.

I don't want to watch everyone die.

I don't want to be alone.

Please, don't let me be alone.

I whimpered the last ones into my knees, curled up on the ground beside my car, then whispered the name I heard him say so many years ago.
"Isa, please."

After a few minutes I calmed myself, swallowing deep breaths of air; I unfolded my body and went to stand up.
Isa was standing over me.

"Sorry about that," he said as I recoiled, falling back against the car.

"You're talking." I stated dumbly.

"well, yes. That shouldn't come as a total surprise. We have spoken before."

"you said one word to me when I was a kid!" I replied indignantly, fear turning into anger, "And my mum sent me to a child psychologist because I kept insisting you talked. And where have you been? Reapers aren't supposed to disappear!"

He shrugged. "There was something I had to take care of, sorry." He smiled a bit ruefully. That was something else reapers weren't supposed to do, and it must have shown in my face.

He crouched down beside me, ignoring how I flinched backwards.

"Look, there are some things we need to discuss." He held out his hand, "Let's go somewhere we can talk."

I stared at his hand. "Look, I don't want to live forever and all, but... that doesn't mean I want to die right now or anything."

"you're not going to die" Isa said, mouth twitching upwards. "Not for a good while, not if I can help it. most of what you think you know about us is wrong, okay?"

"So you're saying that I shouldn't be afraid of you?" I inquired.

He shook his head. "No, that's not what I meant at all, but you can trust me."

"That's... not very comforting." I muttered. He waited, patiently, hand outstretched.

"Ah, what the hell," I said, and took Isa's hand.