CHAPTER XII

ADALIA'S POV

OCTOBER 27
12:07 a.m

MANY NIGHTS I've come out here in hopes of fate bringing me and my mate together. Each night, it was never them. Each night I never felt bad.

But I feel bad for this poor bastard.

Just by looking into his downturned eyes you can see the overwhelming pain looming over him.

That's why I hate this mortal realm so much. They destroy the most innocent aspects of this world that would make life worth living.

He rolls up His sleeve and let's out a shuddering breath. "Okay." He shakes, outstretching his arm to me. "O-okay I'm ready."

The scars lining his arm make me feel even worse. Poor thing. And still so young, only nineteen. Not quite corrupt by this world.

I hold his arm carefully and with my other hand I hold his hand and give it a tight squeeze. I sink my teeth into his wrist and he jumps, squeezing my hand back.

My eyes pop open and I pull my fangs out.

This tastes...different.

"What blood type are you?" I ask, half convinced this is normal.

"Um, I dunno." He squirms.

As if it even matters, I've tried every blood type and it's never tasted like this before.

Could this really be my mate? Of all people?

I reach into my bag and pull out a roll of bandages.

"What are you doing?" He yanks his hand back.

I gingerly grab his hand and find the end of the bandage roll, undoing it with my teeth. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be alright."

I wrap up the bite mark, having to redo it several times because of him constantly trying to tug his arm away.

I pull him to his feet and he shakes. I grab his hand tightly this time, to make sure I don't lose him.

I lead him out from under the bridge and to the abandoned house. Thankfully no one was dumb enough to camp out in this place tonight.

I press him against the mirror and he falls back. I step through the mirror just in time to catch him before he slams his head on the wall.

"W-where are we? Where are you t-taking me?"

I shush him and grab his hand again, leading him to the front room.

The bartender curtseys when he sees me. "Anything I can get for you your highness?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I see wheels turning in Lucifer's head.

"I'll pass, but thank you."

Lucifer and I walk out into the street. He tries to snatch his arm away and run, but I'm much faster than he is.

"Please let me go." He pleads as I lead him down the path towards the castle.

"Why?" I raise an eyebrow. "Why go live a miserable life like you were living when you can come stay with me?" I smile.

"S-stay with y-you?" So much panic fills his eyes. One would think that he of all people would not be fearful of death.

We reach the gates and the guards open them up and don't question me. Lucifer continues to squirm as we walk to the front door.

I rush him upstairs and usher him into the canopy bed. He shivers so I wrap him up in a cozy blanket.

"What are you going to do to me?" He shakes.

"I'm not going to hurt you." I sit down in front of him. "I want to take care of you."

"Why?" He retracts as I try to hold his hand.

"Because you're going to be my fiancé, of course."

"Fiancé?" He recoils. "Why me?"

"I'll explain everything later, but right now I want you to get comfy, alright? Just relax."

His dark fluffy hair flops over his eyes. He hugs his knees tightly to his chest and shakes. He looks about ready to faint.

"What are you?" He asks as I get up off the bed.

I stare at him, confused.

He rubs the bandage around his wrist where I wrapped his bite mark.

Oh.

"Well," I sit back down next to him, "I didn't think I'd have to explain it but I guess this would come as a surprise to a mortal that's probably been told vampires don't exist."

He blinks at me, his eyes seeming to sink further into his face.

"I know a lot of this doesn't make sense right now, I'm sorry." I sigh. "How about we get you ready for bed, yeah? I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning."

I fluff the pillows on one side of the bed and he notices.

"Is this where I'm sleeping?"

"Of course."

"Is this your bed?"

"Yes. Why, does that bother you?"

I look over at him and our eyes meet. He jumps and hesitates to speak.

"A-a little." He mumbles.

"Oh. Well that's okay, you don't have to sleep in the bed with me. How about you-" I look around to point out the loveseat to him but before I can, he's already taken the blanket I've given him and curled up on the floor.

"Or the floor. The floor works too."

I scoop up the pillows on the one side of the bed and lie them down on the ground. I grab another blanket for him.

He looks calm for a second as he gets snuggled up on the rug.

I climb into bed, the only light being my bedside lamp. I talk to him and tell him about how mates work. He's silent as I talk. He's definitely still awake, but he stays quietly curled up on the ground.

Once I decide to cut my rambling short, I turn off my lamp and roll over, so I don't have to see him shakily struggle to sleep.