Ms. Honey Blonde ✨

Start from the beginning

I know this heifer!

"Did you-" Jade says while leaning into me and I turn to her.

"Just see that?" I continue her sentence and Jade's eyes widen.

"Sis is outta pocket" She comments and I agree.

"She better keep her eyes right, she don't want these problems," I say while leaning back into my seat.

Queen sighs, "Just chill, nobody wants any problems" She tells us and Jade looks over to me with a 'good lord' face.

I sit up and look over to Queen, "You're too nice you know" I tell her and before she can answer all of a sudden we hear someone clearing their throat.

All three of us look up to see the girl staring down at us, hard. "If you don't mind" She spits nastily.

"Bitch!" Jade says in a deep voice.

"Some of us are showcasing actual talent, quiet in the audience" She continues and Jade tries to stand up.

"Make me-"

I grip her arm, "Settle down sis, remember she don't want these problems" I remind her and Jade slowly takes a seat.

"She done lost her everloving mind" She spits as she leans back into her seat.

I look over at the girl as she straightens out her hair and I scowl, "Yeah I can tell the bitch is going to be a problem"

The soundtrack to the song starts and as soon as the beat drops all three of us sit up. I know that this girl is not about to sing what I think she's about to sing.

She starts swaying her hips to the beat of the song and I can just feel Jade's anger permeating from her. Her eyes are closed as she sways and before she starts singing she opens them. Her eyes are trained on the judges as she places her hands on the mic and starts singing.

I never met a man quite like you
Doing all he can, making my dreams come true

I can't believe she's really auditioning for the role of Effie and I definitely can't believe she actually thinks she can go against Jade.

You're strong and you're smart, you've taken my heart
And I'll give you the rest of me too
You're the perfect man for me, I love you, I do
Mmm, I love ya

"I can already sense I'm going to hate her" Jade mutters and I agree. As she sings the song I keep catching her looking at me. Does this bitch have a staring problem? Cause we can fix that right quick!

I never ever felt quite like this

Good about myself from my very first kiss

I'm here when you call, you've got it all
And confidence like I never knew
You're the perfect man for me, I love you, I do

As soon as she finishes singing the audience goes crazy, even Mr. J. We look over to him standing up and praising her for her amazing vocals.

"That was the best audition we've heard so far" Mr. Jefferson praises and Ms. Langston hits him in the chest.

"I wouldn't say all that, but it was a great audition Annabelle" She corrects while shooting Mr. J irritated glares.

Annabelle? I never met a black girl named Annabelle before?

Jade scoffs, "Fuck this, screw Listen, we're singing an Effie song" She comments while standing up and walking towards the aisle.

"Good luck guys" Queen calls after us and as we make our way on stage and behind the curtain for our turn, I begin to feel nervous. Maybe because I'm not that great of a singer like Jade. What if I mess up and embarrass myself? I already seem to have a hater here despite the fact that I don't even know her from a hole in the wall.

I take multiple breaths in and out as someone hands me a mic and I can feel my heart racing a thousand miles. Jade peeps and pulls me aside, "Kendra you can do this" She encourages me.

I begin shaking my hands, "You know how I feel about going onstage" I tell her and she demands that I pull my shit together.

"You go onstage for dance all the time, we're going to nationals soon, remember?" She says and I begin to feel even more nervous.

"Yeah but I don't have to talk let alone sing" I refute and she huffs.

"But you're a good singer!" Her comment doesn't exactly help my nervousness.

"Look at me!" She demands and I do so.

"You are an amazing singer, okay, you will get through this, you will blow them away and I will get the part of Effie and all will be good, got it!" She states firmly and I take one last deep breath.

"Okay, I'm still nervous though," I tell her and she nods her head.

"I know but remember sing for you not anyone else" She suggests and I tilt my head a little.

"Did you forget we're at an audition, we're literally singing for someone else" I respond and she sticks both her lips out, "Well sorry, that's all I got for you so you're just going to have to take it" She tells me while patting me on the shoulder.

The stage manager tells us that we can go on and that they're ready for us. Shaking myself and jumping a little I follow Jade onto the stage. My stomach is in knots and when the lights hit me I feel like I'm going to throw up. Dancing on stage I can do, any form of communication I can't do. Which is really surprising considering when I go to college I want to get into writing for TV and stuff.

I stand next to Jade and hook my mic up to the stand, "Hey girls" Ms. Langston greets us and we both greet her back.

"I knew Jade was going to be here but you Miss Lyon, don't tell me you can sing?" She jokes and I laugh a little.

"I'm not as good as Jade but I promised I'd do this with her" I tell her and she smiles.

"Well then, go ahead" She says and I take a deep breath.

The beginning of the track starts and I prepare myself to sing. Before I can even open my mouth the door to the auditorium opens and in walks Cole.

What is he doing here?