Chapter Twenty-Seven

I get to Liam's house at about five o'clock, as the sun dims below the trees, sending long shadows across the gravel drive.

Without the blaring music and blinding party lights, Liam's house is actually really pretty, with trimmed hedges cutting the front off from the back yard and a couple of chimneys poking out of the roof slates.

Jace drives away while I make my way to the front door. Caleb is at my house, still doing homework I assume. I'd offered for him to come along, but he'd persisted that his English essay wasn't going to write itself.

I knock on the large door, and am greeted by a smiling Abigail. Her hair is tucked in a messy ponytail, strands falling at either side of her head. I notice in the natural orange light shining from the sun a sprinkle of freckles across her nose.

Although I wasn't expecting to see her, I grin, and greet her.

As she invites me in, I notice her top is inside-out. I don't say anything, but I can't help a smirk falling onto my lips. "I didn't know you were gonna be here, Abigail."

Before she can respond, Liam walks in with ruffled hair and a crinkled top.

I hide my chuckle with a cough, while he grins wildly. "Great, we're all here. I'm sorry for lying before, Lena, but I don't have a calc test. I had to say that so Caleb wouldn't know."

"Wouldn't know what?" I question, eyeing him suspiciously.

"It's his birthday tomorrow, and we're throwing him a surprise party," Liam explains, dimples deepening.

I feel slightly hurt that Caleb hadn't told me it's his birthday tomorrow. With everything going on, he could've still managed to slip it into a conversation.

I shake away the hurt, and smile. "Sounds like a plan."

After spending the next few hours planning it out, figuring out who to invite and how to make it as interesting as possible, Liam and Abigail walk with me to the door.

Liam offers to drop us both off home, after we agree to get to his house tomorrow a couple hours before the party starts.

Before I climb out when Liam's expensive car pulls up outside my house, I turn to them both and sighs heavily. "I have no idea what to get him."

They think it over, and then shake their heads. "I don't know, Lena, but that's up to you to think about," Abigail says.

"I don't really have much time to think about it," I whine.

They both turn around from the front seats, and smile reassuringly at me sat in the back middle seat.

Abigail grins and says, "I'll pick you up tomorrow, we can go shopping together."

"You'd do that?" I ask, utterly delighted.

"Of course, that's what friends do."

And it sends a hurricane of happiness into my heart, warming my soul.

"In that case, I'll see you tomorrow," I say, jumping out of the car and jogging to the front door to avoid the bitter cold.

Once I step inside, I notice Caleb and Jace in the living room, cheering and booing at something on TV.

I walk in slowly, and realise they're watching the football. It's the Chargers against the Ducks, Caleb's NFL team vs Jace's. I smile at them both and settle on the armrest of the couch, beside Caleb.

He looks up at me, and grins. "Have a good time?"

"Not as good as you seem to be having," I comment, turning back to the screen.