Azure

4.Azure - RAY

Morning light streamed in through the glass windows of a foreign room, that had me stumbling over questions, until I remembered it was Caleb's suite. He'd long woken up, evident by the folded sheets and the pillow by my head. Moving my eyes around the room, I took note of the things around me, the windows, the things, the lampshades and even the little things that proved Caleb's presence.

I slowly got up from the bed, then walked over to the window, trying to see the other side through the glass.

After looking here and there, I realized that I was the only one in the room, and Caleb had probably gone out.

I found a new wrapped up toothbrush in a kit in the bathroom, so I brushed my teeth with it. After washing my face thoroughly, I came back to the room, and sat down on the bed.

I was swinging my legs back and forth, something I had not done for so long, when my eyes caught a bright red packet, kept on the dresser by the cupboard. Not noticing it before, I contemplated for a while, then deciding to at least settle my curiosity, I got up and inched closer towards it.

A note lay over the packet, which I picked up, only to find my name scrawled on it.

Ray,

Take them without complaints. I guess you'd prefer to eventually get out of this room, and not in men's clothing. So here's something you could wear. And if I'm not back and you are reading this, I have some work to do, and I'll be back by afternoon.

Good Morning,
Cal.

I folded back the note, then picked up the packet and sat down on the bed, opening the packet to see what it contained.

A white frill top and black pants were folded together in the packet. I got them out and turned them around to get a good look.

Throwing the empty packet on the table, I proceeded to get out of Caleb's T-shirt and wear what I now held in my hands. As I shimmied out of Caleb's trousers and proceeded to put on the black pants, the door slammed open.

"Hey Ray, are you...shit!"

I hadn't even seen him, with my eyes on the pants. I quickly buttoned up the pants and covered my bra clad chest with his T-shirt.

"It's okay Ray, I'm sorry, cover yourself up, I'm outside."

I quickly wore the frill top and put his clothes on the table beside the packet.

"Come in!"

His eyes were downcast, as he wearily walked inside.

"It's okay, I'm decent."

I gave him a small smile, as he looked up at me tentatively. He scratched his chin with his fingers, as he smiled back at me. He put his hand forward.

"I got us food. Hungry?"

I put my fingers on the packet, and pulled it off from his fingers.

"Yes. I'm famished."

He sat down on the couch, after easing out of his black jacket. He opened the top button of his shirt and leaned back on the couch. The ease with which he sat made things seem easy too, if only for a moment. To have a friend with me when I had nowhere to go not even a day before, made me feel safer, from everything that was happening around me. If only for just a moment.

I sat down beside him, opening up the contents in the packet. Chinese, hmm?

"Nice. What's the time, Caleb?"