Unapologetic

3. Unapologetic-RAY

I woke up with a start, my face lolling too much to the side. A hand pushed a glass of water in front of my face. God, I was feeling so cold.

"Here. Drink it."

My eyes flitted upwards while my hands took the glass. Oh. Of course it was Scar.

"Hey."

Scar nodded in answer and sat down on the chair.

"Heard you are going through a little bit of a memory loss? A specialist is going to check you up. You aren't worrying about it, are you? Stress worsens it, or so I was told moments before by your doctor."

I sighed.

"Truthfully, I am a little worried, but no, not taking too much stress. Mom's really worried though. I mean, I'm just a little blank. Though I admit I'm curious about how I got here, but well, if it's terrible enough, let's not know about it."

Scar laughed.

"Real smart, sis."

The door opened, and I turned my head to look at the newcomer, to see a doctor.

"Hello Ms. Cole. I'm Dr. Cornwell. Are you feeling well?"

"I am yes, thank you."

Dr. Cornwell looked at Scar.

"Ms. Cole, would you please wait outside; I'd like to speak to your sister."

Scar nodded and waving me goodbye, walked outside, leaving me alone with the doctor. I started feeling a funny lightness starting within my stomach, and well, I was starting to feel nervous.

"So Ms. Cole."

"Yes doctor?"

"I heard about your problem, regarding recollection, and we're going to do a little exercise to see what's going on. Please don't be nervous, it's just a little exercise."

"Okay."

"Do you know, why you are here? In a hospital?"

"No."

Dr. Cornwell gave a nod.

"Alright. You had an accident on Saturday evening, of which you have no recollection. Today, it's Tuesday."

What?

"An accident?"

"I'm afraid yes."

"Um, what else have I forgotten?"

Dr. Cornwell folded his arms and stood even straighter.

"That's what we're going to find out. Do you remember anything of Friday?"

"Friday? Uh, doctor, what's the date today?"

"Twelve. 12th of July."

When was ... Saturday was a 9th.

9th. 9th July was an important date, it was a date circled on calendars, a date I'd put reminders of. 9th of July...

Oh my god, yes!

9th July I had a reunion with my university friends. Yes. Which makes Friday an 8th.

"Friday was 8th July."

"Correct."

"So, Friday... yes. Friday had been a work day. And yes, it was the day before the reunion..."

Murmuring to myself, I was trying to recollect what I'd done exactly on Friday. It had been a work day, Fridays are work days. It was a day spent filing sheets of data on two of our patients' progress and updating the same on the computer. I'd rechecked registers, hmm, around five pm I was free. I had come back home, declining Blue's offer of drinks and supper outside. Then I'd planned with Scar, she'd gone out again to fill up the empty tank of my car and buy a pair of  new shoes she needed; last minute things, then we'd  eaten some Chinese takeaway she'd picked up on the way. We'd had an early night. I'd been really excited.