Marigold

12 - Marigold

Two days later, the place was looking cleaner than it had ever been. Future prospects of money - in this case donations - were probably the reason. The orphanage had never been a grimy place, but it had lost its colour, and now after thorough scrubbing of every corner, it gave off a new shine. Air fresheners had done their job, a sickly sweet smell following Ray around everywhere.

Holly was practically skipping on her feet; the excitement on her face was far too much to even remotely comfort Ray. In fact, the only reason Ray was frequenting the place was because she'd taken a liking to Mauve and her scratchy voice. It was getting disturbingly endearing. Only three days of origami, and she even liked the screaming kids now. 

Personally, though she liked children, screaming was always an aspect that didn't really appeal to her. But now, it felt like a balm. There was no mask in place, no cutting remarks. Children were after all innocent creatures. They screamed happily, and laughed loudly. It was a welcome background music to her ears; the world outside had lately become very painful. 

Things felt very fake.

Some of the kids had even warmed up to her. Lilith always came up to her to shower her with compliments, though she had realised that Lilith had an ulterior motive - to be complimented as well by the newest teacher. And Ray didn't really mind.

She had started spending so much time in Mary's, that it was probably the reason that she already felt at home. Mauve had started talking a little too.

"Is that a green scarf?"

Ray looked up from the instructions she'd been reading on her phone on "how to make a turtle" , and instinctively pulled on the scarf around her neck.

"This one?"

Mauve tilted her head in question.

"Uh, okay. Well, yeah, you could say that."

"The colour is absolutely fascinating. It's almost a green, but I can see a tinge of blue. It's confusing too."

Ray laughed, and pulled out her scarf from around her neck, and handed it to her colleague.

"If you like it so much, you should keep it. I have another."

"Really?"

Mauve gazed at her with wonder. Ray laughed again, and curled her fingers around the hand holding the scarf.

"Yes, really."

"But, why do you have another of the same thing?"

Ray put her cheek on her palm, pressed her elbow on her thigh, crossed her legs, and leaned forward with a smile.

"Because, it's my sister's. What's hers is mine!"

Mauve looked like she'd said something scandalous, but then she burst into laughter, and though Ray felt only sorrow after her statement when realisation finally hit her, she laughed along.

"You're cheeky!"

Mauve was gasping, and Ray felt like doting on her like her own sister. 

"Right you are, Mauve. Now, let me finish reading this. I've got to experiment today. Got a couple lined up. The second being this turtle."

Mauve picked up her water bottle from the table and drank some water, sobering up instantly. Turning her face to look at the phone in Ray's hand, she nodded, then looked up. 

"I'd like to see it when you're done."

 ****

Ray had just popped in her earphones to listen to some music, when Holly Warren came barging into the room. The kids, who had been asked to play a game of "silence wins" - an invention of her own to keep the kids quiet - happily forwent the game and started chattering again, inspired by the talkative intrusion into their room.