Denim

2. Denim - RAY

The gates of heaven had opened. And the sluice-gates too, or so it seemed.

It was raining, heavily.

Rather untimely.

It was neither helping my vision, nor my purpose.

And I was currently standing in front of the cemetery, rain pouring down on me, looking like a half-dead fish.

Is...is he there?

The graves were lined up, as far as my eye could see, and I could hardly see a soul.

I'm gonna see you.

Or maybe, since the rain was pouring so hard, even if there would have been anybody, I would have seen nothing.

Won't you say hi?

I slowly walked, eyes trying to grasp fleeting names, that meant something to somebody, and nothing to everybody else.

Are...are you wearing blue?

I walked slowly, taking my time with each step.

I can't find you.

The graves were old.

As the rain poured, and got sucked into the ground, my eyes caught on to a dead bouquet of flowers, lying forlorn on a grave.

My eyes followed a fast falling pellet, as it got soaked by the ground.

Were the thirsty mouths of all those dead souls, open wide, gulping in mouthfuls of water, trying to quench their ever-present thirst?

Are you thirsty?

And just like that, my eyes found a group of people clad in black.

In mourning.

I...I forgot to wear black.

But you like me in blue. Just like I like you in blue.

I looked down at my clothes, wet in the rain, and came to a bitter conclusion.

There was not one spot of black in my clothes.

But...but my denims are dark blue...

I started walking faster.

I could make out from the decreasing distance, that a lot of people were there.

A brown casket was sitting on the ground.

As I came closer, I recognised Jesse, and Dave, his parents, standing in front of the casket. Jesse was crying, her tears a silent side-effect of sorrow.

A lot of flowers were adorning the casket.

Proudly proclaiming a loving goodbye.

I forgot flowers, in a hurry.

But I love you too.

Standing still, I suddenly shook in surprise, when a loud wail sounded.

Eve. She was holding onto Francis, and wailing loudly.

What was his sister wailing so loudly about?

She looked perfectly fine to me.

Even in mourning, both mother and daughter were dressed beautifully.

And even Eve's husband looked pretty polished today.

"Why'd he have to go, Francis? Why Shayne?"