Chapter 9: The Story Ends (The Gift Part 3)

The old man's home present day:
"The sun is getting very low, I will skip to the end of my story." The old man said as Vlad listened intently. "As I said, about three sunrises later, the young man's mother passed away, and after that, the two of them became very close, they always spent time with each other each day until the sun was low and he would walk her to the tree where they first met without a single question. Then, on the 18th year of his birth, the girl known as Abigale made an unexpected request."
-------------------------------------------------------
200 years ago:
"Are you sure this is what you want?" Aaron asked.

"I trust you, Aaron, I would not ask if not." She said calmly.

"Very well but, you don't want me to wash your feet?" He asked.

"Aaron, I know you are working to live a life of servitude but, I ask, just this once, wash my back." Finally, the young man nodded.

"Very well, let us go then." He smiled as he gripped the small old cloth in his hand.

The journey to the river was short and as before it appeared completely deserted. The two made their way down to the edge of the river and looked down. The water was clear enough that they could see the bottom quite clearly. Abigale stepped forward first. Stepping forward letting her feet sink down, she stopped just as the water was up to her ankles. Aaron kneeled down on his.

It didn't take long for them to arrive at the river, and just like before, the area seemed completely deserted. Abigale stepped out in front, testing the water by sticking her right foot in. Slowly, she stepped further into the water until it came up to her ankles. Aaron smiled as she came up behind her and kneeled down.
Looking down, he saw how clear the water was, he could see all the way down to the bottom. Slowly Abigale slid her garment down just enough to uncover her shoulders, that's when he saw it, a mass of white that began to spill out, and then another..... Aaron couldn't see for sure but, he knew she was nervous.... And based on what he was seeing, he wasn't surprised. He knew he had to say something.

"I understand, if the townspeople discovered this, there would be a commotion." He said softly as he gently ran the old cloth along the first white wing and then the other before slowly sliding the shoulder of the garment back around. He heard a small sigh escape her lips as she turned to face him.

"Thank you, Aaron."
-------------------------------------------------------
"She was happy, her best friend accepted her, even after the lie was revealed. It seemed.... Like a dream." The old man continued as the young ruler and his best friend and advisor listened... "Alas, at times, this world is cruel and all good things come to an end. Tis a cruel fate we must all endure given time."

"What happened?" Vlad asked.

"As it turned out, the river was not as deserted as the two believed. When they were finished, they traveled to the marketplace to pick up some food." As the man spoke, his expression changed to one who looked as though they were recalling a tunneling nightmare...

"When they arrived, a group of soldiers apprehended the two and took Abigale. Aaron tried to follow but one of the men shoved him to the ground and brought the hilt of his sword down on the back of the young man's head.

As he cried out picking himself up he ran after them, a crowd gathered screaming vile things...
------------------------------------------------------
"BEAST! CREATURE! ANIMAL! DECEIVER! DEFILER! SEDUCTRESS!" The Crowd shouted angrily.

Aaron tried to fight his way through the thick crowd, grabbing shoulder after shoulder, tossing people to the side using his own short blade to strike them but refusing to kill even one. By the time he had gotten to the center of the square, however, the deed had been done. With her hands and feet tied, the tree they had hung the young woman on had been set ablaze....