Chapter 8: Aaron and Abigale (The Gift Part 2)

After what felt like a long time Aaron smiled as he saw his new friend come back within sight. "You actually waited for me!" She said tilting her head;

"Well, yea, why would I not?" He asked. She shrugged as she looked up at the sky holding up her hand.

                     "Aaron, I believe it is about to start raining soon." Said the girl named Abigale.

"Huh, how do you?..." Aaron's words were cut off by a drop of water falling into his face. "Uhh...."

"You should go home." She said kindly.

"Ok, but I will not just leave you here, I do not even know where you came from but, walking in the rain is unacceptable. He said.

"Then.... "What shall I do?" She asked.

"You can stay at our home until the rain stops." He said grabbing her hand.

                     As they walked up to the old home Aaron grabbed the door and swung the door open stepping inside. "Mother, I've returned from the field." He called out as a figure stepped out of the hall. She was a medium-sized woman, wrinkles lining her fog colored eyes. Her face was pale and her breath shallow, it was clear she was a sickly woman.

                     "Welcome home, and who is this?" She asked.

"Her name is Abigale, she is from the next province over. She was going to begin the journey home when the rain began to fall. I ask you, mother, can she stay until the rain ceases?" He asked.

"Very we....." Her words were cut off as she began a coughing fit.

"Mother, please return to bed. You are still very ill." The woman smiled as she stepped forward ruffling her hand through the boy's dirty dark hair.

"I shall then...." She said softly. Abigale's eyes seemed to be fixated on the woman as her figure disappeared.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The old man's home present day:

                     "As it happened, the child's mother died three sunrises after that. He and the girl became very close, they would spend almost each and every day with one another until the evening when the girl would request that he walk her to the tree where they had first met." Suddenly, his expression changed, he became very solemn and sad. However, like all stories, this one too came to an end." He said softly.