Chapter 18: Rewards

After dinner was over, Simone played Beethoven and Wagner music on a large phonograph. The guests scattered around the house as they spoke in corners, in the lounge, or in the patio. The children played hide and seek.

Markus was having a conversation with Peter about the distribution of the troops stationed in Holland and Southern France. They sat in the living room area next to the patio, drinking and smoking.

Markus watched as Liesel went outside, stood next to Ivy, and watched Kristian and Heinrich from a distance. The two men, hardly noticeable in the falling darkness of the early evening, were outside talking. Markus had noticed the way Liesel looked at Kristian. He could tell she liked him, there was a sparkle in her eyes and a glow in her cheeks whenever Kristian was near her.

He would be marrying her in a week, yet he couldn't help but feel jealous. Markus and Liesel had not even kissed yet, he respected her wish to take things slowly. They were strangers, after all, brought together by a pregnancy made in a laboratory. Brought together by their love of their country.

He wanted to win her heart, but how could he compete with Kristian? Son of an SS general and an SS officer himself. Markus was a simple farmer, with a ten-grades education, the son of humble farmers, and with nothing to offer but his military service and his Aryan blood.

~

"How did you do it? How did you find the courage?" Liesel asked, curious.

"When I was in Paris there were bombings nearby. There was a sense of panic. I felt scared, Liesel, I've never been more scared in my life. But I feel it somehow strengthened me. And that's what gave me the courage. That's why I was able to pull the trigger..." Ivy told Liesel.

They stood on the porch, drinking. The moon shone brightly, casting a pearly glow over them.

"I thought it was an accident," Liesel replied.

"Are you implying it was wrong?" Ivy asked, slightly aggressively.

"No! No, I'm not implying anything. I'm glad you did it, you weren't safe with that Jew in your house," she replied.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you."

"It's okay. We're all a little on edge," Liesel said, and she took a sip of beer. She squeezed Ivy's hand,

"I'll be right back."

Liesel headed for the washroom. She bumped into Markus who was coming of out of it the moment she reached for the door.

"Oh... excuse me," he said politely. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright, and you?" Liesel smiled.

"I'm fine," he smiled back and started to walk away. He stopped and went back. She was already inside the washroom, so he waited outside, leaning against the wall.

When Liesel stepped out, Markus looked at her.

"You're still here... Are you sure you're alright? Is something wrong?" she was concerned.

"Here's the thing, it may be the drinks talking but I think I'm not right for you. I've seen the way you look at Kristian and I can't help but feel as though you like him. I... I can't compete with that."

"You don't have to, it's you I'll be marrying." Liesel said.

"Yes, but it wasn't your choice, was it?" he looked down.

"It was my choice to go to that clinic. I do like you, you are so, so sweet," she put her hand on his cheek. His face was rather beautiful, her hand caressed his jawbone.