Chapter 7: Tension

"What am I? Uh... well it's more of a who am I, you see. I'm General Köhler's daughter, and his secretary" Ivy retold the conversation she had with a woman she'd met earlier. The woman had told Ivy she was a nurse and then proceeded to ask what her profession was.

"Isn't it great? To just be generals' daughters? People in Berlin know our fathers, I get stuff for free sometimes," Liesel said.

"We also get stuff for free because we're upper class and that's how it works. But you know, I'm not happy with this life," Ivy sighed.

"But Ivy, you're also a secretary, and at the Reichstag no less! What it's like working for your Vater?"

"It's alright, quite boring really. All I ever do is file paperwork and answer calls for Vati. It doesn't feel useful, you know? I feel as though I'm not really contributing to our Reich. Like a nurse, a nurse is so helpful!

I thought I could be a nurse, but when I saw that man with blood pouring out of his hand... I felt so weak, like I might faint. But I meant it back in BDM when I said I wanted to be a teacher," she frowned.

"So why did you quit school? Anne Krüger is still in university."

"Then Anne Krüger isn't bothered by the daily comments on her marital life! Or on the fact that she is a woman! Remember Sara? The Jew? My brother's –"

"Yeah I remember her, how could I forget?" Liesel interrupted.

"Right, sorry... Well, she was a teacher! How did she do it? I think when she went to university things were a little different," Ivy replied.

"Nonsense! It's always been that way for us, only I'm willing to accept it but you're not. We're rich, you said it, we don't need jobs, we need husbands."

"Yes, that's what our Führer wants for German women, but it's not what my heart tells me. I should do what Opa told me."

"But you are marrying Uli, right?"

"Of course. Actually, now that you mention it... Uli suggested we wait until the war is over to have our wedding. I agreed, I don't want our wedding memories to be clouded with all this war talk and pointless tension," Ivy said.

"What if the war doesn't end soon, like everyone says? Are you sure that's a good idea?" Liesel asked.

"Are you sure marrying a complete stranger is a good idea?" Ivy asked her.

"Markus is a good man, he'll make a great father, I'm sure. You answered my question with a question," Liesel frowned.

"The war won't last much longer now. It's already been five months and not a shot has been fired. Nothing's happened, nothing will happen," Ivy was sure of it.

"The British have blockaded our country's shipping imports, that isn't nothing," Liesel stated.

"See? This is exactly why I can't have my wedding now. It's all anyone would speak of," Ivy said.

"I wish I could afford the same luxury," Liesel looked down at her belly. It had only been a month, but the results had come back and she was indeed pregnant. She would soon be marrying Markus Baumann, a young farmer-turned-SS officer and the father of her baby.

"It's the right thing, you did the right thing," Ivy assured her.

"I know. I'm not regretting it. It's just odd, not how I pictured my love story happening."

"Love stories are for little girls. Fairy tales and happy tales, just things children are told for comfort."

Liesel nodded in agreement.