Chapter 17: What is Faith

Chapter 17

Seth didn't say a word to anyone as they made their way up the winding road that led out of the village. He road in the back of the group while Strat led from the front, for some reason he wanted to be as far away as he could from Master Bannot. They traveled for most of the day past small evergreen orchards and fields of grain. It was a pleasant day with a slight breeze and only minimal clouds to shroud the area in shades of gray. It made the whole region seem like it was just alive with contentment.

It wasn't until a little after noon that they slowed to a halt for a short rest and to water the horses. But before Seth knew it they were back in the saddle and riding at a brisk pace. This gave Seth plenty of time to think about what all was going in his head and to sort out his feeling at finding out he was immortal.

It was hard for Seth to imagine never aging and only being vulnerable to wounds and sickness but it was now his life and no matter how long he lived he'd make it a worthy one. He could understand that what God had given him couldn't be squandered in immobility so he decided that after his work was done he would focus on helping others up the path of faith. Although he wasn't all that sure that he had all that much faith himself.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Isbis asked suddenly. Seth started slightly he hadn't even realized that she had dropped back to speak to him. And he didn't even feel the up and down motion of the horse anymore. That was how use to riding he had become.

"I suppose you know about me being like Master Strat, and Master Jack?" he asked looking over to where she rode next to him on his right.

"Well yeah Strat told us shortly before we left Hartshire. He said to give you some time to figure out how you felt."

"Yeah well I'm not too worried anymore about being immortal it's these other powers that I'm worried about. Based on what Strat did it seems like I'll hold an immense amount of power."

"Yeah you will, so what's the problem?"

"Well I'm not sure that I'm ready for that kind of responsibility," Seth sighed. Isbis took a deep breath then looked at him.

The sun was setting in the west and the sky was lit up in all kinds of soft reds, oranges, and violets.

But most of all it gave Isbis's fiery red hair a glow of sorts, that made her all the more captivating. Seth dry swallowed as he tried his hardest to hide the obvious blush that was probably forming on his face. It was obvious that Seth had failed to hide it when a smile spread across her face and she raised her chin at him a little. Then she seemed to realize she was going to tell him something.

"Seth listen, God wouldn't give you anything you can't handle. I mean he made you after all, he knows what you can handle, more than anyone." Seth realized that Isbis was trying to pull him out of his thought and back into the world and although he wasn't done sifting through his problems he put on a smile.

"Thanks, Isbis I really needed that."

"Anytime, Seth." She urged her palomino horse forward and retook her place in the line. They rode for about another hour and then Strat halted then on a hilltop with a clear view of its' surroundings. Strat paused as he examined the area to make sure it was safe. Seth also took his cue from Strat and scanned the area behind and around them at the rear. Seth scanned every part around him. They were mostly in a hilly plain that was dotted by small group of trees and rocky outcrops but there was no movement to speak of. Nothing but what the wind moved itself. Seth turned around to see Strat watching him waiting for his analysis.

"All clear behind," Seth told him. Strat nodded and then dismounted, motioning for the rest of them to do the same.

"Alright everyone, get the camp set up let's move quickly before night is completely on us." Everyone scattered to take care of his or her assigned duty. Since they didn't want any complications when it came to who did what when setting up camp, Strat, and Jack had set up a list of duties for everyone. Seth's job was to procure fresh water from nearby streams and to get wood if necessary. Seth turned and handed the reins of his horse to Mike, who was in charge of caring for the horses.