Kenzie was a child. He didn't need to be strong, he needed to be safe. Sexual assault is not a fucking test of strength.

I feel sick.

"Say that again and I'll kill you both with my bare hands, woman or not." Ivan swore, clenching his fists tightly.

Alec's lip curled upwards, and I knew it was taking some serious self control for them not to react.

"Mom." Mrs Jensen peered upwards to meet Keegan's calloused expression. "Dad."

"I just wanted you to know," He paused, diverting his stare to his father. His voice hardened. "That I genuinely despise your existences, and my life is better without you both in it."

Oh shit.

Alec rushed to grab Mr Jensen before his fist connected with Keegan's cheek. Jesse stood in front of him while Sky and Ivan flanked Alec's side.

Skylar stared straight at Mrs Jensen, his expression not wavering for a split second. "Don't follow us, unless you want the same treatment as he's going to get. Karma's a bitch."

Indeed it is.

-----------------

I stood over Kenzie Jensen's bed side, my eyes content for the first time as I stared at his dormant body.

He really is so beautiful.

Pushing his hair away from his forehead gently, I plant a soft kiss there and inhaled his familiar scent.

Even on the brink of death, he still smelt like home.

"You know this world? This sad, stupid, pathetic, little world? It needs you. It needs all of us, Kenz." I whisper quietly, kissing him one more on his cheek and leaning my head further towards his ear. "I love you, Kenzie Jensen."

And then I walked out, never to return again.

Leaving one final letter in my wake.

- - - - - - - -

Dear Kenzie,

I don't know why I'm writing this letter, or what it'll do. But I don't know if you can hear me talking to you so this is the next best thing.

I know you're going to wake up; You're strong, like me. And you are not ready to die.

Not yet anyway.

I'm not going to be here when you wake up.

I'm sat looking at you at this very moment. Your eyelids are closed, your dark hair looks lifeless and unkept.

But you still look peaceful, and calm, and beautiful.

You deserve everything good in this cruel world, Kenzie. I know it's difficult at times to live in such a fucked up world but know this...

Nothing would be the same if you didn't exist.

I am leaving, but not forever.

I'm 19 now and I'm going to get my little brother back.

I'm going to adopt him and get him away from the people who hurt him.

I don't want him to be as broken as us, Kenz.

And while doing that, I'm going to fix the mistake I made 5 years ago. I'm going to adopt someone else.

My Raven.

And as soon as I return, you should be awake and alive. Your father will never be able to hurt you again and you'll be safe. I will be by your side, if you'll have me.

And I'll have my brothers and sister back; Alec, Ivan, Sky, Lana, Reagan, Bodhi, Jesse, Zach.

We'll both have our families back.

You know, someone once told me that life is just one big, fucked up party. A room of dreams and illusions scattered like confetti, where just a modicum of us are taking care of the rest who are always falling or stumbling around. The music is always beating too fucking loud. But we love it anyway. Life is a place where everyone is always waiting on someone special to walk through the front door and change their life.

And don't get me wrong, I don't know if any of this is the truth.

For all we know, this could be complete bullshit made up from some stupid, optimistic values in order to inspire us to do well.

But if it is the truth, then please just know that I'll always be saving the last dance.

I've never been scared to love someone, Kenz; I've always known that I could hurt someone just as badly, if not worse, than how they'd hurt me.

I won't chase you, Kenzie.

But when you're ready for fireworks instead of sparklers, I will come for you.

-------

Did you guys like the ending?

Full Author's Note will be included in a chapter after the Epilogue. Information on the Next Book will be given.

Thank you all for reading!

All my love,

Alaska xx