Prologue

Fire.

The color of the leaves; the last heatwave of the season. The burning in his chest.

It's been six months since he last talked to her.

Or really, if he's being honest, six months since he did much more than sleep and work. Just as it was before he met her.

Not that they were anything — no, anyone could tell you that Noelle Monroe and West Harrison had belonged to each other from the beginning. Aeron never really had a chance.

A twinge of pain shoots through him, sharp and hard, and a bit of a rarity these days. He doesn't feel much of anything anymore between the alcohol and pushing everything and everyone away.

The world around Aspen, Montana is gearing up for another winter; silent and cold. Aeron is already there.

He doesn't miss her. He never really took the time to get to know her, after all. If he had, maybe things would have been different. He can't miss her, so he misses her ability to understand him in a way that no one else could. No one else went through the things that they did; it was a pain they shared. A pain she no longer feels, and one he tries to drink away.

He lifts the bottle to his lips, the liquid burning as he swallows.

It burns.

The door to the dimly lit bar opens suddenly and a cold draft sweeps across the room. He doesn't care but he looks anyway.

Her auburn hair falls down her back in curls. Blue eyes meet his.