Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Lily massaged her temples as she stared at her laptop's screen.

I really wanna go home now.

Yawning, she glanced at her watch.

10:30 pm

"Damn!"

Lily can't believe she spent another hour of overtime at work. So far, this had been the 30th time she'd done that.

In a frenzy, she shut down her laptop and gathered all her personal belongings before dumping it in her bag. Slinging it over her shoulder, she knocked on the connecting door to her employer's office.

"Enter."

She slowly opened the door and stuck her head in the gap. As she caught the gaze of Mr Ambrose, she beamed at him.

"I'm going home now, sir."

"Have you finished revising the reports?"

"I'm halfway through, sir."

Lily almost cringed as she saw Mr Ambrose's lips press into a thin line. She sure was in for some scolding.

"Fine. Take your work home."

"Excuse me?" Lily almost raised her voice in indignation.

"You are not excused until you agree with me."

"But, sir-"

"No buts, Ms Linton." He went back to reading another document. "Take your work home."

"Do I get a raise for this?"

Mr Ambrose's little finger twitched. That meant he was getting irritated, Lily noticed.

"No."

Lily's knees buckled and she had to hold the door frame to balance herself. "This is slavery!"

"Fine." Mr Ambrose said coolly, but his eyes showed cold fury. "I will raise your pay adequately."

Lily decided that this was the best she would get out of her stingy employer. Sighing, she closes the door exited from the sight of her boss.

Mr Ambrose scolded himself.

What was I thinking? Giving her a raise!

Finally considering the thought irrelevant he went back to reading a contract that needed signing. This was supposed to be done last night, but after that incident he wasn't able to accomplish it.

He clenched his fists.

Something definitely could have happened to Lily. It was a good thing he had noticed something off immediately and dragged her out before things could get even worst.

She was a brave soul, but he wouldn't admit that out loud.

Before he completely passed out, he saw her fighting off the men who held her in an arm lock. She was a nutcracker and even he almost groaned in pain when he heard the balls of her captor make an unpleasant sound.

This made Mr Ambrose want to protect her all the more. She kept getting closer and closer to the dark side of his business dealings.

He had to get rid of her soon before she finds out. Who knows? She might blabber it to the world once she finds out, being the loud-mouthed woman she was. He was simply being cautious.

At least that what he makes himself believe.

He went back to reading the paper in front of him. After reading the whole content, he proceeded reading the papers in the next folder.